View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
Here is Segway's latest info about maintaining your PT over the winter. This includes some new info about whether to remove batteries for storage, how often to charge them, and at what temperatures.

In part, it says, "Keep your batteries charged.* If ambient temperature is below 32° F/0° C, do not charge your batteries. Instead, bring them into a warm (above 50° F/10° C) environment for charging. Doing so will ensure optimal battery life and performance".

I don't know what this means for people who keep their Segs in a cold place, but plugged in. So you can ride while it's cold, but you are supposed to bring your Seg into a nice warm place every day, so that you can charge for the next day? This seems like a very serious limitation.

Also, "If you get a safety alert soon after you begin gliding in cold weather (below 32° F/0° C), try warming your PT up by bringing it into a warm environment for at least 30 minutes".

http://www.segway.com/segway-resourc...inter-Tips.pdf
Thank you for posting that "Tips" sheet. I am limited this year to storing in cold, transporting in cold, and gliding somewhat in cold also unfortunately. I had posted what my experiences were and if something new appears, I will add it to the brain-dump. I haven't (to my knowledge at least) charged below 32 F, I hope it didn't get that cold. But it's certainly 50 or lower where I have to keep the segs currently. So far, they seem to have weathered resonably well. I have experienced the safety shutdown in very cold, and also get a ! on the infokey. Limiting the speed makes it go away. So far, within a half-hour or so of warming up, they perform normally as that tip sheet suggests. Can't wait for Spring !
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote