View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #2
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I don't think you need a container for the base, although wheels can be bent by storing on end or throwing the base about, but...

It is my understanding that Segway lithium ion batteries are not allowed on any passenger aircraft, whether in the passenger compartment, luggage compartment, or even flying as cargo. Period. However, that MAY have changed for personal assistance devices. A search of United Airlines' website yielded the following page
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...heelchair.aspx

Assuming the best case, this says that only one battery can stay in the Seg base, the second has to be independently packed, and is only allowed as carry-on baggage. If they count the two Seg batteries as one, then it would exceed the 300 Watt-hour limitation, and it can't fly at all. Each original Segway battery is supposedly 200 Watt-Hours.

Having said all this, I think it is VERY risky to depend on an airline to transport your Seg. The decision is going to come down to a couple of gate agents. Airlines don't have much experience with Segs, and with all the excitement about exploding "hoverboards", you can bet that a gate agent is going to look at those humongous Seg batteries and read the requirements VERY carefully.

It might be useful to get a detailed and signed authorization from an appropriate airline representative, if you are able to find such a person. Also good to have a Plan B for what to do with your Seg, and what to do in Ireland, if United tells you No Go when you are at the gate. Good luck!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote