Thread: Segway gear oil
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2017, 03:12 PM   #28
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
But do not confuse this endorsement with my agreeing that the need to modify is not egocentric. Surely all of my modifications were, and will continue to be. Sometimes I will say and may feel it will improve the technical capacity of a given device, and it may be so, but it is always egocentric. And by my reckoning, that is not a bad word, or a bad thing.
Quite obviously, I just do not understand the meaning of the word in this context

By definition, "Egocentrism is the inability to differentiate between self and other. More specifically, it is the inability to untangle subjective schemas from objective reality; an inability to understand or assume any perspective other than their own"

Many (most?) of us are by nature, tinkerers - Always looking to modify or improve things, especially when we find that things just don't work all that well as they were originally designed; or they fail to do the things we intended or would like them to do when we acquired them; or they just don't last as long as they should - So we make changes . . . . and that's certainly not a bad thing. Rank amateurs often make excellent changes to things designed by professional engineers who evidently have trouble seeing the forest for the trees

The need to modify something is somehow egocentric??

And, an inability to understand any perspective other than your own isn't a bad thing??

To my understanding, if it's not a 'bad word' it's definitely one with a very negative connotation - I certainly wouldn't use it to compliment anyone

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote