Thread: Segway gear oil
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #22
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix_fetche View Post
Now need new oil, this is transmision oil from class GL-4, like 75W-90, 80W-90 and 85W-90. The last one is only for areas with very low temperatures. I allways use 75W90, and it pretty smooth!
Have fun researching!
I think you have it backwards - 20 weight oil is for low temperatures. The higher the number, the thicker the oil. Those you mention are all hypoid gear oils, designed for automobile transmissions and differentials where the gears 'shear' the oil because they wipe across each other - Way, wwaaaayyy too heavy for use in a Seg gearbox with straight cut gears

I don't know this for a fact, but I would imagine a Seg gearbox comes from the factory with something very light, like ATF for its lubricant - If the old lube has a red tint to it, you'd know for sure it was ATF. If you want to go to something heavier, 20 weight motor oil would be a good choice, or 10W30 if you operate in cold weather. At freezing, 75W90 is closer to peanut butter than oil - It is very heavy oil intended for something which generates lots of heat, like a car transmission or differential. Definitely not correct for a Seg

As for how much to use - Assuming you don't have a leaking seal, drain the old oil into a measuring cup and replace with the same amount

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote