View Single Post
Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 AM   #48
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The spec sheet for that particular model (RMP50 XL) says that the machine has 2 wheel drive 'Tractor' mode, which is not self balancing. It is designed to be driven via joystick (or computer equivalent) This may be the reason the base is restricted to 8 mph as a max speed.

This might be a problem with this as a base, because a person standing on it would have similar top heavy problems related to the Q or rad to go. I would not want to be standing on this unit, at full speed down hill and try to stop fast.

However, the combined spec sheet of all the models available with the links on that page say that the RMP 50 XL has both balancing and tractor mode available.

It still seems to me that to combat the inherent instability of high speed turns on small wheelbase trikes, there still has to be an element of balance mode.

It further seems to me to combat the inherent instability of low speed or parked functionality, a 3rd something (wheel or foot) needs to be in place.

This is the first new news from Segway in a while, that I have heard of. It is nice to hear something new is coming out. (I am not involved with the RMPs at all, and there very well may have been regular news from that division that I am unfamiliar with)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote