View Single Post
Old 03-31-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I agree, the batteries are low-lying fruit for a company to come in an offer a "better" version. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Segway to do so -- you have what they consider the best-engineered battery already.

USB port or lighting port is interesting, and again, probably more of an aftermarket thing that anything. But yeah, in terms of "doable" things, I could imagine this is something they could take on if they wanted to.

As for the speed limit, I doubt you'll see that ever changed. Segway spent a lot of money, time and resources getting legislatures across the country to write Segway laws that governed their use largely on sidewalks. If there was a version that could do much higher speeds (even if intended exclusively for off-road, private use), there'd be no way to differentiate them from a "regular" Segway. Meaning the first time someone gets hurt on an "off-road" high-speed Segway in town or on a sidewalk, the company gets sued.

Is it right? Probably not. But that's the liability laws of the U.S. for you... and that's why Segway will likely never release a version that does more than what is codified in all those laws they spent so much time and money getting passed.

John