View Single Post
Old 06-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
bentbiker
bentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the roughbentbiker is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Note also that the elastomer is made in such a way that it must be installed with the proper edges on the inside and outside. There are notches cut on the inside of the hub and the elastomer has small "overhangs" on one edge that fit into the notches and keep the elastomer from moving side to side on the hub. My first inclination would have been to allow those overhangs to go on the outside of the hub and prevent putting it on too far; luckily, Jimbo at Segway OC alerted me. He said also that factory training at INC advised that the stickiness of the elastomer is an early sign that it is starting to break down.

Finally, my early i2 unit was produced with gobs (technical term) of sealant instead of the available gasket. Removal of the silicone sealant can probably be best accomplished with a wire brush if you choose (I did) and the gasket can be purchased from the dealer. With the gasket in place, I chose not to use any sealant. I can't see the need for both, but you be the judge for your unit.

I don't believe Glen was overly cautious at all in warning of bearing damage in hammering the gearbox off. With spreaders available from Harbor freight for about $4 each, two such spreaders make the job much easier and safer. I believe the 18" model is the proper size.

Glen, I was at first confused by your saying, "The couplers were initially quiet but quickly degraded to their former noisy operation within a few minutes." After re-reading it, I concluded that you meant you first attempted to re-use the original couplers after merely cleaning them. I assume the new couplers quieted the situation somewhat permanently; it did for me.

John Kuhn
bentbiker is offline   Reply With Quote