View Single Post
Old 06-30-2017, 08:18 PM   #36
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pescador12 View Post
Advance tech in Ninebots can be frightening, for some. Modern electronics, new batteries, and brushless motors, mean Segway type devices no longer need cost $7,000 or weigh 100+lbs. It is no longer a boutique product bought by a small group of customers and the unlimited budget government.
The concerns are with the quality and safety tradeoffs made to reduce price and increase profit. For instance, as reported:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcarlson79 View Post

...I took it to the carpark to test with 4 bars and then with ZERO warning I lost ALL power and fell backwards and opened up my elbow.

... Each battery ... their own BMS onboard. I found that the BMS had tripped on both battery packs which left the system with 0v to try and balance me.

...So moral of the story is that it IS INDEED possible for the system to cut ALL power with no vibrating, stick shake or beeps, just BOOM no power.

Honestly, after looking at the poor LG battery cells they use in the 450Wh packs and the poor SAMSUNG cells in the 670Wh packs, what a terrible decision. Each time they have gone for the cheap low AMP cells, where for an extra $0.30 per cell ($18) they could have put REALLY good LG or SAMSUNG cells like the Samsung 30Q.

But anyway, the fact they have separate BMS inside the battery box that can be triggered without being controlled by the motherboard is a bad design.
And consider units with only a single bettery.

These are quality/performance/safety/cost tradeoffs that the manufacturer made. Understanding them is helpful in evaluating purchase decisions.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote