View Single Post
Old 02-15-2009, 09:56 PM   #29
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

While I'm in no great hurry to use my Segway i2 at any of Disney's parks here in Florida, it occurs to me that the primary reason to bar Segways is to force persons who are unable to maneuver their parks by walking to rent their so called "scooters" at $42.00 per day. This practice exists at Busch Gardens, Epcot, WDW, The Florida State Fair and other venues that attract senior citizens with mobility issues. Near the entrance to any of the above mentioned attractions are stores such as Target, Publix and Sweetbay, each of which has the same electric scooters available within their stores at NO CHARGE whatsoever! The exclusion of Segway at any of these stores have yet to be tested by me personally, but the point is moot when scooters are offered at no cost. This issue at Disney and other parks is simply one of monetary gain for their coffers but further erodes patronage because of the combined high cost of a single day entry, high priced food & beverages plus the added scooter rental fee. The plethora of merchandise offered for sale at these parks places them in the same category as a "store" such as Target. There's little difference in the style of high priced fuzzy animals, T-shirts, baseball caps, etc. which are sold at theme parks compared to similar merchandise sold at Target for much less money. The daily rental rate over a one year period brings in over $15,000 per scooter to their cash box. The style pictured is very close to the rental scooters I've seen at a variety of local parks. The current retail price for this item is $849.00! Your best protest for this slanted business practice is to sell your Disney stock tomorrow morning! RAY-NER
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stingray-3-wheeled-electric-scooter-big.jpg (23.6 KB, 26 views)