SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Will not turn off (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34330)

GlencoeActivities 03-13-2016 04:05 PM

Will not turn off

Hi - I have a XT which will not turn off. I have tried two keys and put new batteries in. Any ideas?
Thanx

GlideGuy 03-14-2016 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GlencoeActivities (Post 239020)
Hi - I have a XT which will not turn off. I have tried two keys and put new batteries in. Any ideas?
Thanx

Is it new to you or did it just start doing this?
If it just started doing this, I would suspect the push button went bad.

gbrandwood 03-14-2016 08:34 AM

Can't recall now (it's been a while) - do you hold the button down for several seconds whilst it's not in balance mode in order to power it off? Are you saying that's not working?

If you are waiting for it to turn itself off, the key used to turn it on could be set to have the no-timeout option enabled, which is a bit set in the key's code that was designed for golfers I think. You may need to get replacement keys programmed if this is the case and is not to your liking.

You could also initiate an emergency shutdown if you were desperate.

Gihgehls 03-14-2016 01:24 PM

I've had my infokey "crash" before. I needed to take the batteries out for a few seconds before it would work again.

dale@thecoys.net 03-14-2016 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gihgehls (Post 239025)
I've had my infokey "crash" before. I needed to take the batteries out for a few seconds before it would work again.

I don't think the XT uses an infokey.

However, the OP said: "Hi - I have a XT which will not turn off. I have tried two keys and put new batteries in." - so maybe it's an X2.

But then the questions would be: how does it get turned on? Etc.

And in either case, removing the Segway batteries (both of them) should cause it to be "off" when the batteries are re-installed.

SegNerd 03-14-2016 06:18 PM

If it is an X2, then there is a backup method for shutting down. The following is from the manual:
Quote:

Switch your PT to Standby Mode by walking beside it while holding the Handlebar until you hear the Stick Shake Warning and feel the
PT switch out of Balance Mode, into Standby Mode.
Leave your PT in a secure location for 15 minutes until it automatically powers down.
I don't know of any backup method for 1st-gen models, presumably because you just hold down the built-in button to turn them off, so there isn't really much need for backup unless the software crashes, in which case a backup method probably wouldn't work anyway - then you just have to disconnect the cables or batteries.

Gihgehls 03-14-2016 07:59 PM

1st gen you can short out the keyport to a screw in the handlebar or the more common way is to tilt the machine onto its side.

rotorblades 03-15-2016 12:55 AM

Quote:

Thanx

hi im wondering if you have a footpad stuck down or maybe one of the rubber "switches stuck making the machine think it has a rider on if it does it wont shut off im only an old amateur hope a pro helps yahere
one later thought plug it in try again then just pull the plug
good luck

dale@thecoys.net 03-15-2016 10:25 AM

Quote:

Hi -

This person (from Scotland?) asked an imprecise question over 2 days ago. And then hasn't been back to clarify.

http://www.glencoescotland.com/see-do/family-fun/

(A good bet would be confusing which infokeys go with which X2s)

SegNerd 03-15-2016 12:40 PM

I think two days is a little fast to start calling someone a troll. Not everyone goes online every day. It's not like someone resurrected a thread from two years, or even two months, ago.

The OP asked a seemingly reasonable question, even if he/she might be slightly confused. People have provided several helpful answers, and the info could be useful to other people here too.

Even if the OP does just disappear, I can't think of any reason to post "I can't turn it off" as a troll thread. Sometimes people just leave.