SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Ally Chair (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=33381)

JW Hunter 09-20-2014 10:38 AM

Ally Chair

Whatever became of the Ally Chair?

Is it still for sale? Does anyone use one? Any reviews out there?

rickb 09-21-2014 02:11 AM

I can no longer find info on the Ally Chair. However, the first Segfrees are scheduled to arrive in the USA in about 4 weeks.

Also, in recent discussion with Segsolutions I discovered they are fabricating a landing gear/kickstand for their Freedom GldR......apparently a stand alone unit attaching to the Segway frame not the Seat Kit. Perhaps could be used on any Segway for added stability if currently using a SegSeat or SegSaddle. I'm waiting for a call when it's ready to test drive. They also have a new backrest option.

Gimpy guy 09-26-2014 02:40 PM

Hello,

I'm a lurker. As much as I would love to use a Segway I can't. We tried in PT but no luck. L4 para.

I have kept an eye on the Ally chair, that's the ticket for me.
Somebody is building that chair as I still see Segs-4-vets giving them to our returning heroes. It's out there but I haven't found the source yet. It appears the original guys not making them anymore but someone must be, I think. Lol

I've seen all these other conversions but none have hit the streets, except the ally.

I want one, now.

rickb 09-27-2014 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gimpy guy (Post 235859)
Hello,

I'm a lurker. As much as I would love to use a Segway I can't. We tried in PT but no luck. L4 para.

I have kept an eye on the Ally chair, that's the ticket for me.
Somebody is building that chair as I still see Segs-4-vets giving them to our returning heroes. It's out there but I haven't found the source yet. It appears the original guys not making them anymore but someone must be, I think. Lol

I've seen all these other conversions but none have hit the streets, except the ally.

I want one, now.

Check out the SegFree.......coming to the USA Distributor in a few weeks. Very affordable compared to the others.

Gimpy guy 09-27-2014 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickb (Post 235863)
Check out the SegFree.......coming to the USA Distributor in a few weeks. Very affordable compared to the others.

The segfree will not work for me. It looks like a nice design, but anything with the control shaft in the middle is out.

That was the same problem with the Genny .If you are a person whose disability allows you to get up and stand some it's not a big problem. In my case having to remove the shaft every time I needed to transfer just wouldn't get the job done. Not to mention the shaft makes it impossible to pull the chair under a table.

Most of the other chair conversions all look good, but more for people that need a temporary chair or a specialty chair. I'm looking for something that I can use 90% of the time. From what I have seen the alley chair is the only one so far.

From a very practical standpoint after a few decades of lifting my body around i've got a strong upper body so independent transfer is a piece of cake. But the nuisance of having to constantly remove or fold the shaft is just a dealbreaker. Just getting in and out from under my desk at work would require a large amount of shaft removes.

The ally also is the only one i've actually been able to see in person.

I'll track down whoever is building that chair and I will buy it in a heartbeat.

rickb 09-27-2014 04:52 PM

I was back on the www.allychair.com website and it looks as though they can be ordered on-line. Although my guess is you have tried without success. Good luck as it looks to be a very stabile,functional, quality built product.

Gimpy guy 09-27-2014 06:39 PM

Yeah I tried, I'll keep you all posted.
Thank you for the input!

JW Hunter 11-04-2014 10:10 AM

Just saw this on the Segs4Vets thread

"Four of this week’s recipients will receive an Ally Chair adapted Segway, a universally designed recreational device which is currently only available through the Segs4Vets program. The program transforms the Segway into a seated device allowing it to be used by those who cannot make productive use of prosthetics."

Obviously they're getting it from somewhere....

Gimpy guy 11-06-2014 07:13 AM

Looks like I'm heading for San Antonio next week.

JW Hunter 11-12-2014 10:26 PM

Segs4Vets Tweeted This Photo

Ally Chair?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B2SaChGCAAAOWyg.jpg