SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Doug Field Leaving Segway for Apple (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=19322)

JohnG 07-04-2008 08:37 AM

Doug Field Leaving Segway for Apple

Doug Field, the chief technology officer at Segway who heads their entire engineering team (and has since Day 1), is leaving Segway to work in product design at Apple.

Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications).

And hey, what can be better than a gig at Apple? These days, in the design and engineering world, not much!! :)

We wish Doug all the luck in moving on!!

John

PS - For any reporters still writing this story, I do not work at Segway and haven't for 2 1/2 years! I was the Web manager from 2001-2006, but am no longer working there.

pam 07-04-2008 09:03 AM

As my mom would have said, definitely a gentleman and a scholar. I wonder, will he move out to the west coast? I'll miss him at the helm at Segway, and I'm sure Linda Brennan will even moreso.

wwhopper 07-04-2008 09:51 AM

I am glad this news is finally public

He will be missed, but he is a young man and should continue to be in a creative position.

I am sure he will take with him, lots of his love for the Segway PT to his new job, and as we all know that Apple enthusiasts are often Segway enthusiasts too.

No doubt he will cross paths with the world of Segways again very soon.

Sal 07-04-2008 10:13 AM

Bittersweet

Doug has meant so much to the development and evolution of the Segway.

I wish him luck... and being a Mac-enthusiast as well, I am just as enthusiastic about him being head of product development at the fruit company.

He will certainly be missed at Segway, but will add to the innovation at Apple.

-Sal

terryp 07-04-2008 11:33 AM

Disappointing news.

It's definitely a loss for Segway, but a big gain for Apple. He's one of the coolest engineers I've met, and a heck of a nice guy.

Steve Jobs recruited John Sculley away from Pepsi by asking if he'd rather change the world or continue to push sugar water. I wonder if Doug's choice concerned continuing to make scooters.

Cube128 07-04-2008 12:00 PM

Exodus :(

It's nice to hear about how Segway sales really seem to be taking off, but bittersweet to hear about so many of the original staff at Inc departing just as Segway's promise seems on the verge of being fulfilled. I can only hope that whoever replaces Doug and the others who have left will be as meticulous and enthusiastic about the product as their predecessors.

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 02:10 PM

Disappointing? HA!

Extrapolate a bit and consider the possibilities of WHY he's going to Apple!

Segway PT development is essentially done; Segway, Inc is in admittedly dire need of marketing.

What about the possibility of Apple buying Segway, Inc. Doug Field is hired as the front man to set up his team.

NotQuiteCode3 07-04-2008 02:27 PM

And thus [:O], a conspiracy theory is born!

Lynn

segsurfer 07-04-2008 03:14 PM

I dunno, but this makes me want a Doug Field designed mac. I'll have to wait to see what he comes up with.
-segsurfer

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 06:38 PM

Well, I don't think it's too far-fetched to think about the possibilities. If Steve Jobs hired Scully on the prospect of Apple changing the world, and if Steve was indeed impressed with the Segway PT's potential role in that, and if Doug was looking for a bigger game, his job at Segway having been essentially accomplished. . .

Anyway, someone a while ago after the iPhone came out posited the idea of the infokey being incorporated into an iPhone as an app. I think that's an elegant idea, especially with the addition of a built-in GPS.

Hey I already have Apple logo stickers on my i2's wheels!