SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My Experience with the Ninebot / Segway Mini (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34316)

therealzam 03-02-2016 04:29 PM

My Experience with the Ninebot / Segway Mini

I was able to get a Mini a few months ago. I'm a disabled user whose owned every model since the 180, including a p133. I currently have an i2 and i2 SE. I've also got the X2 tires and fenders. Given my experience, I thought I'd give you some feedback:

1: Control Shaft: the between the legs thing is a DUH feature that should have been on the device since day 1. You have MUCH more control than using a handlebar. Since about a year into my i2, I modified it in a similar way. Unfortunately, the rod on the mini is a bit too short but works amazingly.

2: Portability: that's the greatest thing about it. At 25lbs, I can get it in and out of my car with ease. It's amazingly liberating to me. I can now easily drive anywhere. The biggest issue with the size is that my size 15 feet protrude about 4in in front of the device when I use it so I've got to be very careful not to hit anything with them.

3: Controls: These are some features which should have been added a decade ago. I mean, Segway has a big robotics division. Being able to lock / unlock the device, view status information, etc. via a smartphone is a no brainier. Unfortunately, you can't turn the thing on with your phone, you have to use the power button. This is a MAJOR security flaw as anyone could activate the device if it was left unlocked. The other problem is that it turns itself off after 2 or 3 hours when locked. Fortunately, it will remain in locked mode once reactivated but I'd rather the device alarm go off at any time when the device is moved while locked.

4: Remote Control Mode: One word, AWESOME. I use this feature every day when I'm using the mini. As a disabled user, the convenience of being able to sit down when getting off the device and pilot it to a safe place, then lock it remotely is invaluable. When I need it again, I can simply summon it. There are limitations to this feature as the lack of top weight means acceleration is very slow and I often have to turn it to get it to move. Especially on carpet.

5: Stability: To preface, my disability has a MAJOR impact on this part of my review. When moving around, the thing is pretty stable, but it's lack of weight and small tires substantially reduce traction. This means that you've got to be very careful with sharp adjustments like large door thresholds and damaged sidewalks. Being a disabled user, I still use my cane when crossing thresholds or needing to stand still for short periods. Hills and significant lateral inclines are MUCH more difficult on the Mini. The fact that I need my cane and it's small size means, It's also not practical in big crowds. Medium crowds like shopping malls and business networking events are fine, but busy nightclubs and music festivals are a no. Overall, I'm sure able-bodied users will fare much better.

6: Mini vs. Hoverboard: When you remove the rod, the thing is the same size as a large hoverboard. It's also priced in the same general range (~$319 in China and 1k in the US). As much as people call my Big Seg "an old style hoverboard", the Mini gets that misnomer about tenfold. My ankles don't twist voluntarily so I'm incapable of using a hoverboard to make the comparison, but severa I've allowed several of my friends who own the lesser devices use the Mini. Their first question is " where can I get this?". They tell me its far more stable and responsive and that the steering system makes for a totally different and superior experience.
7: Inconspicuous: The Mini is relatively inconspicuous next to a normal Segway. Most of the people I encounter don't even notice the device.

Overall, the Mini is AMAZING. I think the price point and size open the platform up to a much larger customer base. In a word, it's revolutionary. If the company can successfully differentiate itself by leveraging Segway's history of not exploding, this device could eat up a significant portion of hoverboard sales which would amount to millions of units being sold domestically and therefore billions in revenue. With the arrival of the Mini, Kamen's original dream may finally come to fruition.

Gihgehls 03-02-2016 05:11 PM

I'm curious if it has the same behavior as a Segway on lateral slopes. Does the leansteer on the mini account for the direction of gravity like the big Segway? Or does it turn purely based off the angle of deflection?

therealzam 03-18-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gihgehls (Post 238966)
I'm curious if it has the same behavior as a Segway on lateral slopes. Does the leansteer on the mini account for the direction of gravity like the big Segway? Or does it turn purely based off the angle of deflection?

It works just like an i2 or x2. BUT, the Mini's reduced width ansf the higher center of gravity when combined with the operator means the pull effect of the lateral slope is greater. This stronger pull is very similar to the p133 (even thought it doesn't work like 1st gen device).

lilnyc 03-26-2016 03:22 PM

Thanks for sharing your detailed review. I'm considering a MiniPro. I tried the Mini, but missed the leansteer that makes me feel more secure on the i2. Maybe it just takes some getting used to. I only tried the Mini for a few minutes.

But the advantage of the MiniPro over the i2 for me would be the ability to wheel it alongside me like luggage, its less intimidating size on sidewalks and the ability to to put it in a trunk if it conks out on the go.

My apprehension is that it may be mistaken for a now illegal (in NYC) hoverboard or categorized as such and get flagged.

dl1955 03-29-2016 09:13 PM

Hi,

I have a question. I weigh 240lbs. The weight limit states 220lbs. Do you think it will be an issue? I know that the X2 or I2 can handle 280lbs without issues.

Thanks...

Estway_Tech 06-13-2016 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dl1955 (Post 239103)
Hi,

I have a question. I weigh 240lbs. The weight limit states 220lbs. Do you think it will be an issue? I know that the X2 or I2 can handle 280lbs without issues.

Thanks...

This won't be much a issue, but always drive carefully is a must. Anyway this stuff is for fun use, don't take it seriously for daily commute.

Jnoel 09-25-2016 12:54 PM

Did you pull the trigger?

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks...

Hello there... Did you end up pulling the trigger on a miniPro? I am 235 and this is the only thing holding me back from getting one of these.

Jnoel 09-25-2016 12:58 PM

Did you pull the trigger?

Quote:

Hi,

Thanks...

Hi dl1955...

I am 235 and this is the only thing holding me back from getting one. Did you end up getting a unit? If so have you had any issues being a bit over the weight limit?

Thanks for any info!

gregn 09-29-2016 07:32 AM

Hey all,
I am 215 and use the Mini Pro fine. I am below the limit but I use it for work on a farm. I routinely carry stuff like ladders and #50 bags of soil and seed. Also I pull carts with over #100 of stuff on them. Even up hills its fine.
As a disclaimer the following is just my opinion from observations. Ninebot/Segway I'm sure has a reason for the limits and knowingly exceeding them could cause damage or get you hurt. That said...

It seems the weight limit is more a power limit. If you are heavy and ask for full acceleration from a stop you will get a warning. You just have to accelerate slowly and when pulling a hill don't ask for full speed. I can pull a heavy cart up a gravel hill at a bit faster than a walking speed. That is fine for me.
If you are concerned about weight limits I would get one and you will know real quick if it won't work for you. I think Amazon has a return policy if the unit isn't damaged.
I do think as you go above the weight limit the fun factor will be reduced and you will get speed/power warnings more often. Also the battery life will be shorter. I notice this when I am running it through the field paths that are grass and kind of rough. I think running it on pavement and understanding the limits should be fine for any if the weights mentioned here. Structurally it doesn't seem to notice my weight or the addition of anything I have carried.

Jnoel 09-29-2016 07:47 AM

Thank you very much GregN! I'll be ordering mine today! I am less concerned about top speed and acceleration and was more concerned that going over the weight limit at all would affect the units ability to self balance.