SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What’s Next? (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35147)

GregRice 07-20-2017 03:00 PM

What’s Next?

What’s next?

It’s not just credit card readers and scanners we need to worry about, now hackers are entering the PT arena and hacking into the Segway Mini Pro firmware. Mini Pro riders beware!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...y-hoverboards/

segrick-ATL 07-20-2017 11:28 PM

Thanks for the heads up! Never a dull moment. I got a MP and quick-connect handle to use as my short trip solution that I can easily carry around in my car. Much easier than a 110lb lift for i2. I wouldn't trade for permanent solution, but good 'spare' to have - but only with handle for me.
Never could figure out the "show other MP riders" attraction anyway. Noticed the new version has a follow me mode. Guess that would be hackable also.

Don M 07-21-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by segrick-ATL (Post 241518)
Noticed the new version has a follow me mode. Guess that would be hackable also.

Beware! - Then it would 'follow' someone else and you might lose it! :eek:

Don

Pescador12 07-21-2017 03:35 PM

Not sure that people are hacking Mini Pro's so much as a security expert has proposed how to do it. I think this guy did the same thing for Nest thermostat devices.

I don't like doing firmware updates. The device works fine so I don't bother with the endless demands from software writers to "UPDATE! update now! and again in a few days."

SegwayUtah 07-26-2017 10:34 PM

TL;DR: for pretty much all users this scenario is very unlikely and much lower risk than, say, some devious jerk going low-tech and throwing a bunch of marbles in front of your Ninebot.

As someone who spends some time working in computer security...

From the researcher's video, it looks like the attack relies on a modified Ninebot to succeed. In other words, a hacker would need access to your paired phone and Ninebot (or the ability to pair their own phone to your Ninebot)--and would then need to reprogram the Ninebot with special "attackable" firmware.

That's a much different scenario than some random stranger being able to force your machine to turn off at will. [And again, a bucket full of marbles, or a bucket full of slippery goo, or maybe even a low-power EMP...would all be simpler and more effective troublemaking.]

This is a common issue shared by many, many millions of devices...if someone has physical access to modify a device (either by reprogramming its hardware or by modifying some of its parts) then they can make the device do their bidding.

In this particular case, Segway could issue a firmware update which required all future firmware to be digital-signature-authenticated. For reference, desktop operating systems made that exact move over the last two decades. [There are also nifty things that can be done with crypto-authentication microchips...a topic for another day perhaps.]

Also, please note that everything I just said is a gross oversimplification of the hardware/software security issues inherent in any wirelessly-connected device. :)

Chris

Pescador12 07-27-2017 11:49 PM

Hack me

Quote:

Originally Posted by SegwayUtah (Post 241549)
TL;DR:

In this particular case, Segway could issue a firmware update which required all future firmware to be digital-signature-authenticated. For reference, desktop operating systems made that exact move over the last two decades. [There are also nifty things that can be done with crypto-authentication microchips...a topic for another day perhaps.]

Also, please note that everything I just said is a gross oversimplification of the hardware/software security issues inherent in any wirelessly-connected device. :)

Chris

The recent article notes that the security expert contacted Ninebot a year ago. There have been several firmware releases since then.

My minipro does not take remote operation while I am standing on it. It beeps and shuts down remote control when you stand on it. Best a hacker could do, if they are chasing me with a phone, is set the speed limit to 6mph. Maybe 3mph. I am not sure since I never use that feature and don't use a phone connection (my wife set up both mini pros with her phone).

I thought about loading the app but loose interest before getting around to setting iTunes to load it. Plus, I hear it drains phone batteries when it is on.

My next thread will be on how to transport two Segways. One in each arm :)

Clontz 07-28-2017 06:04 AM

I hate these hackers.

Kev7 07-31-2017 01:55 AM

Maybe if they used their knowledge for good instead of bad we would all be better off.

japaneezy 08-10-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don M (Post 241523)
Beware! - Then it would 'follow' someone else and you might lose it! :eek:

Don

Like the Chinese drones have "flyaways", we're gonna have "rollaways"...

Don M 08-11-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pescador12 (Post 241552)
My next thread will be on how to transport two Segways. One in each arm :)

With your sore feet, that should come in real handy - Instead of riding them, just carry them back home! :p

Don