SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   New Member Introductions (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Battery replacement cost (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32818)

SteveSegIn40 02-23-2014 01:23 PM

Battery replacement cost

Hi All
I'm a new segway glider. Just took delivery of my I2 last month, and I love it! I have a bad ankle and its painful to walk very far. Now i get around town just fine. I'm looking forward to getting around the area on public transport also but I haven't figured out the system for that yet.
My present info need is regarding batteries and their replacement cost. since the batteries are so expensive to replace, I need to put aside funds for their replacement when the time comes. I sure can't afford to break a couple of grand out of my wallet on the spur of the moment!
So, how does one relate battery life to the real-world cost of the transport? is it cents per mile traveled, cost per day? month? year? cost per charging cycle? How does one keep track of the cycles? I keep mine on the plug whenever i'm not using it so it almost never gets fully discharged.
My dealer says that in her experience, batteries last about five years. At that rate the cost is about $35/month.
If anyone can help me get a handle on this, I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks

jgbackes 02-23-2014 04:29 PM

I'm afraid there is no simple way to compute this, i have a few segways that are pretty old, 2007 models that are still on their first let of batteries. I have heard of some people only getting two years out of theirs.

My best advice is to take good care of your batteries, never leave your segway unplugged for more than a day. At least once a month drain them completely down to zero.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gliding.

jeff

Bob.Kerns 03-05-2014 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgbackes (Post 233460)
I'm afraid there is no simple way to compute this, i have a few segways that are pretty old, 2007 models that are still on their first let of batteries. I have heard of some people only getting two years out of theirs.

My best advice is to take good care of your batteries, never leave your segway unplugged for more than a day. At least once a month drain them completely down to zero.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gliding.

jeff

I just replaced my batteries, after 6 years and 5400 miles. I could have gone quite a bit longer on my old set, but with a new longer commute and being really dependent on them, I didn't want to push things.

Most people would have found my old batteries to be pretty acceptable; they probably get about 70% range or so.

I always plug in my Segway when it's not in use, and I use it regularly.

JM Wilber 03-17-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveSegIn40 (Post 233457)
Hi All
I'm a new segway glider. Just took delivery of my I2 last month, and I love it! I have a bad ankle and its painful to walk very far. Now i get around town just fine. I'm looking forward to getting around the area on public transport also but I haven't figured out the system for that yet.
My present info need is regarding batteries and their replacement cost. since the batteries are so expensive to replace, I need to put aside funds for their replacement when the time comes. I sure can't afford to break a couple of grand out of my wallet on the spur of the moment!
So, how does one relate battery life to the real-world cost of the transport? is it cents per mile traveled, cost per day? month? year? cost per charging cycle? How does one keep track of the cycles? I keep mine on the plug whenever i'm not using it so it almost never gets fully discharged.
My dealer says that in her experience, batteries last about five years. At that rate the cost is about $35/month.
If anyone can help me get a handle on this, I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks

I always plug in my Segway, I have a 400 watt inverter in my SUV and when I go on long trips I keep it plug in then too. had my Segway 4 years now and the only batter that I have had to replace is the info key $1.98 at CVS