SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   i67 Software Upgrade for Lithium Batteries (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=35181)

electrijim 08-08-2017 03:32 PM

i67 Software Upgrade for Lithium Batteries

Does anyone know WHY a software upgrade for the i67 Segway is required to use Lithium batteries? My dealer tried to upgrade my software from 10.0 to the current version, and it would not accept the new software. At the time he was attempting this, the internal charger in the i67 CSB was defective. But now I have a working CSB installed.

So what does the software update do for Lithiums? Does it affect the charging? Or affect the performance of the Segway? Or just make the battery status indicator more accurate? I know this is not a hardware issue, because the old Off-Board Charger has identical circuitry to the i67 internal charger, and it will charge Lithium and NiMH batteries. I wonder if you could charge Lithiums off-board, then put them on the i67 with the 10.0 software. Or is that not the issue? -- Jim Nichol

dorrington 08-12-2017 11:00 AM

Hi Jim,

The data sent between the segway base and lithium batteries is different to nimh that's all

dgbint 08-12-2017 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrijim (Post 241605)
So what does the software update do for Lithiums?

Lithium batteries charge differently to NIMH, this is software controlled.

Lithium batteries operate ( discharge into the load ) differently to NiMH, this is software controlled and managed ( safety margins etc ).

So all up, yeah, there's quite a few differences.

Michael

Just to clarify.
The Segway chassis was designed to accept varying battery technologies.
Including batteries that did not yet exist ( at time of manufacture of that Segway ).
Thus battery charging and usage are software controlled.
Hence the need for upgrade of early Segway machines to accept the newer Li-Ion batteries.

Those Segway engineers were pretty cluey, really !!

electrijim 08-14-2017 09:42 PM

OK, thanks guys. I wish I had gotten the software upgrade years ago, before my machine decided to balk at the upgrade. I just gave the i67 to a friend, so it won't be my problem the next time it needs batteries. Fortunately the NiMH batteries were rebuilt recently.

Jim

dorrington 08-16-2017 03:49 PM

In some ways Nimh is better...you can take them on aicraft for starters...and rebuilding is "quite" easy

RMullins 08-17-2017 10:43 AM

Have the dealer contact Segway Tech Support and request an RMA for the upgrade. Once the dealer submits the SN to Segway, and they verify that the SN has never received the upgrade, they will perform the upgrade free of charge and pay for shipping.

This was policy about 3-4 months ago when we coordinated it for a customer.

CARIBE 09-04-2017 04:57 AM

When you say rebuilding is "quite easy". What method have you found best to seperate that strong glue they use?