SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Doug Field Leaving Segway for Apple (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=19322)

JohnG 07-04-2008 08:37 AM

Doug Field Leaving Segway for Apple

Doug Field, the chief technology officer at Segway who heads their entire engineering team (and has since Day 1), is leaving Segway to work in product design at Apple.

Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications).

And hey, what can be better than a gig at Apple? These days, in the design and engineering world, not much!! :)

We wish Doug all the luck in moving on!!

John

PS - For any reporters still writing this story, I do not work at Segway and haven't for 2 1/2 years! I was the Web manager from 2001-2006, but am no longer working there.

pam 07-04-2008 09:03 AM

As my mom would have said, definitely a gentleman and a scholar. I wonder, will he move out to the west coast? I'll miss him at the helm at Segway, and I'm sure Linda Brennan will even moreso.

wwhopper 07-04-2008 09:51 AM

I am glad this news is finally public

He will be missed, but he is a young man and should continue to be in a creative position.

I am sure he will take with him, lots of his love for the Segway PT to his new job, and as we all know that Apple enthusiasts are often Segway enthusiasts too.

No doubt he will cross paths with the world of Segways again very soon.

Sal 07-04-2008 10:13 AM

Bittersweet

Doug has meant so much to the development and evolution of the Segway.

I wish him luck... and being a Mac-enthusiast as well, I am just as enthusiastic about him being head of product development at the fruit company.

He will certainly be missed at Segway, but will add to the innovation at Apple.

-Sal

terryp 07-04-2008 11:33 AM

Disappointing news.

It's definitely a loss for Segway, but a big gain for Apple. He's one of the coolest engineers I've met, and a heck of a nice guy.

Steve Jobs recruited John Sculley away from Pepsi by asking if he'd rather change the world or continue to push sugar water. I wonder if Doug's choice concerned continuing to make scooters.

Cube128 07-04-2008 12:00 PM

Exodus :(

It's nice to hear about how Segway sales really seem to be taking off, but bittersweet to hear about so many of the original staff at Inc departing just as Segway's promise seems on the verge of being fulfilled. I can only hope that whoever replaces Doug and the others who have left will be as meticulous and enthusiastic about the product as their predecessors.

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 02:10 PM

Disappointing? HA!

Extrapolate a bit and consider the possibilities of WHY he's going to Apple!

Segway PT development is essentially done; Segway, Inc is in admittedly dire need of marketing.

What about the possibility of Apple buying Segway, Inc. Doug Field is hired as the front man to set up his team.

NotQuiteCode3 07-04-2008 02:27 PM

And thus [:O], a conspiracy theory is born!

Lynn

segsurfer 07-04-2008 03:14 PM

I dunno, but this makes me want a Doug Field designed mac. I'll have to wait to see what he comes up with.
-segsurfer

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 06:38 PM

Well, I don't think it's too far-fetched to think about the possibilities. If Steve Jobs hired Scully on the prospect of Apple changing the world, and if Steve was indeed impressed with the Segway PT's potential role in that, and if Doug was looking for a bigger game, his job at Segway having been essentially accomplished. . .

Anyway, someone a while ago after the iPhone came out posited the idea of the infokey being incorporated into an iPhone as an app. I think that's an elegant idea, especially with the addition of a built-in GPS.

Hey I already have Apple logo stickers on my i2's wheels!

segsurfer 07-04-2008 09:39 PM

Quote:

Hey I already have Apple logo stickers on my i2's wheels!
Can anyone say fanboy?:D
-segsurfer

JohnG 07-04-2008 10:19 PM

Steven Jobs' hiring of Sculley was the biggest business mistake he ever made. That's why he came back to the company. So if you're using that as some sort of example, it's one of what Jobs' will never do again...

Apple has no interest in Segway, trust me on this.

John

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 10:46 PM

No, no, you took that wrong(ly). My emphasis wasn't on Scully but on the likelihood that Jobs' recruitment emphasis was on changing the world. Yeah, he picked the wrong guy, but Scully shared in the blame for his failure.

My point is, especially since Jobs' return to Apple, that the company HAS been all about changing the world, and the effects which it is creating seem to be ramping up.

So, I say again, I think it's possible that Apple buys Segway, if mainly for the technology. Hey, what if it's an Apple version of Honda's Asimo robot, but scaled back a bit to run on wheels, either two, four, or six?

How about let's think up a cool iName for the PT!!!

SegwayDan 07-04-2008 10:49 PM

Yeah, I'm a fanbouy! I'm Mac and I'm proud, suckah!

Sal 07-04-2008 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by segsurfer (Post 173699)
Can anyone say fanboy?:D
-segsurfer

:o

Nora and I always point and give each other high-fives when we see cars on the road with Apple Stickers in their windows (more common than ya think!)
:D

-Sal

MagiMike 07-04-2008 10:57 PM

Just Kidding , just kidding

:D OH great, now I'll never be able to get a computer with a decent parking stand!

Just Kidding, don't flame me PLZ

SegwayUtah 07-05-2008 02:21 AM

I'll personally be sad to see Doug leave Segway, but it sounds like a pretty awesome opportunity for him. I routinely use both Apple and Segway in the same sentence as creators of great products--and he truly is moving from one great company to another which is great for the resume.

Chris

JohnG 07-05-2008 07:58 AM

Making expensive computers, cell phones and music players isn't exactly "world changing" (Jobs is a great marketer, no doubt about it).

Apple is a great company and I'm certain Doug will fit right in there.

SegwayDan 07-05-2008 09:54 AM

That's it, John, uphold the party line like a good citizen. But we don't all toe it, you see. And there is another world beyond the fabled "normal" which you people have been "marketing."

No, these "expensive toys" may not address directly the grievous ills of society. Despite growing numbers, Segway and even Apple customers are still a pitiful drop of water into the vast desert. All it takes to convert that desert into productive land IS "water", if only field by field. The minerals and matrix are all there.

But they do rather demonstrate that we don't have to swallow every bitter pill (the Microsoft hegemony, petroleum/auto industry hegemony) prescribed for us. "The rest of us" still are a formidable number outside the legions of obedient drones who've been duped into "accepting reality."

Apple's growing factual statistics more and more refute the chronic pounding it's gotten over the decades since its inception. The FACT of over 200 brick and mortar stores cannot be ascribed merely to Steve Jobs' charismatic charm. It's a major capital investment the statistically-proven benefit of which no board of directors can deny. The iTunes store is another statistically-proven (over 3 BILLION songs sold) major benefit, not only to the bottom line, but to the perceived value of the Brand. And, no John, that's not a delusion. ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrohol (Post 173719)
Making expensive computers, cell phones and music players isn't exactly "world changing" (Jobs is a great marketer, no doubt about it).

Apple is a great company and I'm certain Doug will fit right in there.

segsurfer 07-05-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SegwayDan (Post 173704)
Yeah, I'm a fanbouy! I'm Mac and I'm proud, suckah!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sal (Post 173705)
:o

Nora and I always point and give each other high-fives when we see cars on the road with Apple Stickers in their windows (more common than ya think!)
:D

-Sal

Dell XPS m1710:D I have to say, Field joining apple motivates me to get a mac, but I dislike Steve Jobs, I think he's too cocky...I want a new computer, not a new lifestyle.:D I would get a macbook pro as a separate computer...autocad doesn't run well on macs
-segsurfer

SegwayDan 07-05-2008 11:01 PM

Good job, Sal! My Jeep Liberty's got one on its rear window!

SegwayDan 07-05-2008 11:03 PM

Hey, that was a good one!

But seriously, Jonathan Ivie, Apple's ID, could most likely do a great job on the Segway's next facelift--most likely including functional design enhancements.

SegwayDan 07-05-2008 11:04 PM

I know what you mean! It's good to hear this from others.

SegwayDan 07-05-2008 11:15 PM

There are precious few executives who have the cojones TO be cocky! Well, maybe a lot of cocks out there, but few with any follow-through and staying power, to say nothing of charisma and leadership ability, like Jobs.

Think about it. Would you rather put up with a little cockiness, or put up with NO APPLE? If there were no Apple, that dreary Orwellian future might just be well entrenched around us by now--even to the extent of no WINDOWS--as BG copied the Mac interface. Command line interfaces have a habit of opting out the hoi polloi from using computers, and that would have meant slave society big time!

You don't have to buy into the lifestyle if you buy a Mac, especially these days when they have Intel chips and run Windoze fairly well, whether booting into it or running it alongside the Mac OS.

segsurfer 07-05-2008 11:37 PM

I just find jobs irritating, slightly self righteous. I love my ipod but itunes is crap, apple's hardware rocks but they're software sucks. Their software is just a bunch black boxes, it's great until something happens outside of its parameters, when you go in to try and organize something, it freaks out and loses your music. The best analogy/metaphor I can find for their software is that it's like a new cars engine bay. That shiny cowling looks nice, but when you need to fix something, you can't access the engine. I'll stick with my windows and my vintage cars thank you.
-segsurfer

terryp 07-06-2008 12:55 AM

Getting a little off-topic...

I'd just like to wish Doug well in his new position. The Segway may have been Dean's vision, but Doug led the team that pulled it off. While I have zero experience with Apple products, I may have to buy some more of their stock, knowing he's head of product development.

SegwayDan 07-06-2008 09:08 AM

I think you probably summed up this whole "event." Doug's change of employment seems to be significant from numerous angles. And the implications seem rather tantalizing.

JohnG 07-06-2008 02:35 PM

I saw Doug last night at a private social event and spoke with him briefly. He seemed excited by the new opportunity and the transition plan for Segway seems solid. I think at the end of the day, this is good for everyone -- Segway gets a new perspective on its future development plans, Doug moves forward with a stellar career, and Apple gets one of the few people who understands both engineering and business needs.

John

scotty1024 07-06-2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgrohol (Post 173675)
Doug has been the driving force in making the Segway what it is today and will be sorely missed at the company. However, with every change comes good and bad. So while it's bad the rich history and experience of Doug is leaving, it's good in that perhaps the team will get a fresh perspective into possible engineering solutions for future versions of the Segway (or Segway-like applications).

Time for a 2 hour rapid charger!

Maybe its been good it's been keeping me down after my 16 mile Costco runs but my heart is getting stronger and I want my steed to be able to keep up.

I also wouldn't mind if part of its safety checks were tire pressure sensors.

I'd also like a cigarette lighter so I can power up horns/lights/GPS/safety equipment in general.

I'd also appreciate it if it could talk. Not only would it be more friendly, but it would be more friendly to others: Wow! It talks! Kathleen Turner, Meg Ryan a woman's voice that women like as well. Extra credit if security mode would yell "I'm not that kind of transportation device, I don't go off with strangers!"

An option for a built in GPS would be nice, especially one with the 100m blue tooth so you could link to it from your Mac to upload/download routes.

NotQuiteCode3 07-06-2008 08:51 PM

Then how much would one cost?

scotty1024 07-06-2008 11:07 PM

Haven't you heard: talk is cheap!

Talk is cheap, unless of course you actually hire Kathleen Turner or Meg Ryan and they aren't already fanatical Segway owners. The current i2 might even be capable of speech. It has some sort of annunciator in there to allow it to beep.

I once rigged a portable device with speech using the piezo beeper to tell the top sales dude "Scotty told you this feature wouldn't work." Of course he got the last laugh because after that I had to add all kinds of voice to the device as customers fell in love with it.

The rapid charger would be an accessory. I'd design it to plug into the same AC port. Cost to the base Segway would be less than $1.

GPS: dealer option. Ditto, if you want it, you pay for it.

Cigarette lighter. You got me there, that might add $10 or $15. Especially if it actually came with a lighter. :)

Not having to carry a battery pack for the head light and Macarena air horn: priceless.

DCTenor1 07-07-2008 10:43 AM

Slightly off topic: Just want to welcome all the Engadget readers who were linked to this thread today! http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/07/s...gn-yes-really/

JohnG 07-07-2008 01:40 PM

And our friendly CNET readers: :)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-99...=2547-1_3-0-20

John

PS - CNET's been informed about their inaccurate representation of my position... I haven't been employed by Segway for over 2 1/2 years now! :)

DCTenor1 07-07-2008 03:16 PM

Too bad all the comments on the CNET article are incredibly negative and mocking toward the Segway. *sigh* It never ends...

yosgof 07-07-2008 03:27 PM

A self balancing iPhone!!!! Yeah!!!!

toybuilder 07-07-2008 05:30 PM

Best of luck to Doug!

I met Doug at SegFest Chicago. What a terrific gentleman, and sharp, too! I wish him the best at Apple -- with the resources of Apple behind him, he can do even more amazing things! My current boss is a former product manager from Apple, and his experience from there was terrific.

Ninja 07-07-2008 09:23 PM

I too met Doug at SegFest Chicago. He is such a great guy. I'm really sad to hear he will be leaving Segway, but wish him the best at his new position with Apple.

SEGsby 07-08-2008 02:13 PM

Agreed, and the main problem with that, is that no one sees them go unchallenged.

So the myths and hate perpetuate...

SEGsby

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCTenor1 (Post 173912)
Too bad all the comments on the CNET article are incredibly negative and mocking toward the Segway. *sigh* It never ends...

SegwayDan 07-08-2008 11:38 PM

The stupid are denied the fruits of observation.

KSagal 07-09-2008 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty1024 (Post 173867)
Talk is cheap, unless of course you actually hire Kathleen Turner or Meg Ryan and they aren't already fanatical Segway owners. The current i2 might even be capable of speech. It has some sort of annunciator in there to allow it to beep. I believe the sounds are made by varying the motor harmonics, not with an annunciator. I believe they were motivated by having no holes for the sound to come out, nor water to go in.

I once rigged a portable device with speech using the piezo beeper to tell the top sales dude "Scotty told you this feature wouldn't work." Of course he got the last laugh because after that I had to add all kinds of voice to the device as customers fell in love with it.

The rapid charger would be an accessory. I'd design it to plug into the same AC port. Cost to the base Segway would be less than $1.

GPS: dealer option. Ditto, if you want it, you pay for it.

Cigarette lighter. You got me there, that might add $10 or $15. Especially if it actually came with a lighter. :) Considering the voltage of the segs, each battery is either 36 or 72 volts, there may be a problem with a transformer to bring it down to 12 volts. (My lights are 7.5 volts and some accessories are only 5 volts) This transformer may be more expensive, and may affect the range of the whole unit...

Not having to carry a battery pack for the head light and Macarena air horn: priceless.

I agree that much of this would and could exist, and as options, need not take away in price much at all.