SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   i2 InfoKey Crud (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34770)

Bernie 10-30-2016 10:36 PM

InfoKey Crud

1 Attachment(s)
My never used 10 year old infokey appears to be developing what appears to be some kind crud appearing just above the time display. Has anyone seen this and how can I remove it?

terryp 10-31-2016 12:36 AM

Out of curiosity, I just opened my two never-used backup infokeys, and one has developed the same problem as yours. They've been stored in a downstairs hutch in normal temperature and humidity. I've seen this happen to LCDs before, but don't know what causes it. Maybe leakage of the liquid? It will likely get worse. Since they're long out of warranty, I doubt there's anything we can do about it. At least they should still work. I'll contact my dealer to see what he's heard.

dorrington 11-01-2016 04:44 PM

lcd bleed...

terryp 11-02-2016 12:47 PM

My dealer contacted the factory, and was told that they'd never seen it happen on new keys unless they'd been dropped or otherwise abused. He's hoping for additional information.

I have to admit that I took a second look at my spares, and found that the one with the splotch is not new after all. So I must have retired that one for some reason and forgotten about it. It's likely it was dropped.

terryp 11-02-2016 04:54 PM

Final word from the factory

is that they haven't seen this issue, but that LCDs do leak occasionally - usually due to being dropped. I can't speak for Bernie's key, but I'm sure that's what happened to mine.

Bernie 11-02-2016 08:19 PM

I really don't know the history of my bleeding key. I've only owned it one year out of it's ten year life. I can only say that it looks totally unused, except for the bleeding, compared to the other beat-up looking key, which has no bleeding.

The bleeding was not there when I purchased the machine a year ago and the key has been on a shelf since then. Go figure!

terryp 11-03-2016 12:19 AM

It might make sense to use the key with the defect while most of its display is still visible, as the spot will likely only get larger with time. Then you'd know you have a clear spare when the time comes to replace it.

I should have mentioned that my dealer is Rick at Segway of Corvallis (OR). He's always quick to answer questions, calling the factory when he doesn't know the answer, and he's always been great to deal with.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie (Post 240350)
I really don't know the history of my bleeding key. I've only owned it one year out of it's ten year life. I can only say that it looks totally unused, except for the bleeding, compared to the other beat-up looking key, which has no bleeding.

The bleeding was not there when I purchased the machine a year ago and the key has been on a shelf since then. Go figure!

Bernie 11-04-2016 09:46 AM

Thanks terryp! That's good advise. I will do just that.