SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   i2 Base - Impact over rough Terrain (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=13774)

NovaScotian 10-22-2006 06:39 PM

i2 Base - Impact over rough Terrain

What is the i2 base made of? I am surprised the casing around the wheel motors does not break. The X2 I can understand the bigger tires absorbing the shock.

However, referring to the i2 consider the weight of the rider plus the weight of the Segway, you would think if you drove off a curb (by accident) the impact of the 4, 5, or 6 inch drop would snap the metal housing. Has anyone experienced damage to their base from riding over rugged terrain? Just how rugged is the i2?

sholloway 10-22-2006 07:47 PM

If I remember correctly it takes 6000 pounds of force to crush the base!

byped 10-22-2006 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sholloway (Post 127817)
If I remember correctly it takes 6000 pounds of force to crush the base!

Betcha you get a pinch flat first! :p

Stan671 10-22-2006 11:09 PM

The platform is made of die-cast aluminum. It is VERY strong. Segway has very high specifications for strength and safety and corresponding rigorous testing to make sure the Segway's parts will hold up.

The motors do not drive the wheels directly. The motors are secured inside the base where they are protected from the elements and the chassis acts as a heat sink. The motors are connected to the gear boxes which are bolted to the edged of the platform. The wheels mount on the output shaft from the gearboxes.

Very sturdy stuff. I have taken apart a gearbox and am very impressed with the size and quality of the gears and bearings and shafts. I doubt that my car has such good stuff in it.

I have dropped down many curbs and stairs without a problem. In all of my time in the Segway community, I have never heard of anyone breaking a gearbox or platform.

SEGsby 10-22-2006 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaScotian (Post 127813)
What is the i2 base made of? I am surprised the casing around the wheel motors does not break. The X2 I can understand the bigger tires absorbing the shock.

However, referring to the i2 consider the weight of the rider plus the weight of the Segway, you would think if you drove off a curb (by accident) the impact of the 4, 5, or 6 inch drop would snap the metal housing. Has anyone experienced damage to their base from riding over rugged terrain? Just how rugged is the i2?

Amazingly rugged. I flew off a 12 inch curb at about 11 mph and landed with no problems.

SEGsby

bystander 10-23-2006 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NovaScotian (Post 127813)

This is an old news item referring to the gen1.

http://www.alunet.net/shownews.asp?ID=900&type=1

The i2 chassis is substantially similar to the gen1. So it may not be exactly as strong as the gen1 (withstands seven tons of force), but is certainty in the same ballpark.

The i2 has two side spacers on it that make direct strength comparisons with the gen1 non-trivial. But I've never heard of a chassis "snapping".

NovaScotian 10-23-2006 09:14 AM

Thanks for your feed back. It's reasurring to know just how well built the Segway is.

gbrandwood 10-23-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEGsby (Post 127829)
Amazingly rugged. I flew off a 12 inch curb at about 11 mph and landed with no problems.

Surely you weren't on your Segway at the time? :eek: That's wicked! Bet you wouldn't try it again... go on, I dare you!

Stan671 10-23-2006 02:29 PM

The basic chassis (platform without extenders) is identical from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I would not expect there to be any strength difference. The bolt-on extenders for Gen 2 are another story. But I have faith that Segway made those just as strong as the chassis and gearbox that they connect together.

SEGsby 10-23-2006 08:50 PM

I was on it and felt the drop before I knew what I had done... The landing was amazingly smooth, with no wierdness.

Try again? Ah, no. Polo was bad enough on Sunday...

SEGsby

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbrandwood (Post 127869)
Surely you weren't on your Segway at the time? :eek: That's wicked! Bet you wouldn't try it again... go on, I dare you!