SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   The weakest link (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=32863)

bud01234 03-13-2014 04:50 PM

The weakest link

Ok, the back battery on my I2 died yesterday after 7k miles and 6 years of gliding.

I've heard that if you replace one of the batteries, you should replace both. (merely another $800).
Has anybody ever replaced just one battery and left an older, higher mileage battery in?
Before the back battery tragically bit the dust, I was still getting about 20 miles range. As long as the older battery doesn't damage the new one, then I can live with slightly reduced range.
Also, should I put the new or the old battery in the rear position?

Bud

airdale 03-13-2014 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bud01234 (Post 233673)
Ok, the back battery on my I2 died yesterday after 7k miles and 6 years of gliding.

I've heard that if you replace one of the batteries, you should replace both. (merely another $800).
Has anybody ever replaced just one battery and left an older, higher mileage battery in?
Before the back battery tragically bit the dust, I was still getting about 20 miles range. As long as the older battery doesn't damage the new one, then I can live with slightly reduced range.
Also, should I put the new or the old battery in the rear position?

Bud

As far as I understand due to one weaker battery it will only last as good as the old one, as the computer needs both battery's balanced..

So if you old battery is at 60% the new one will only give you 60%... Then shut down.... yea its a tuff call... or get both reconditioned?

bud01234 03-13-2014 08:19 PM

Thanks airdale-

unfortunately, money is tight right now so I'm going to go the cheapest route and hope for the best. Should be in much better shape in a few months financially.

jgbackes 03-13-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bud01234 (Post 233676)
Thanks airdale-

unfortunately, money is tight right now so I'm going to go the cheapest route and hope for the best. Should be in much better shape in a few months financially.

You should give MTO a call, it is cheaper than buying a new set of batteries

jeff

Amimoto 03-14-2014 12:27 AM

If you only rebuild one battery, that new battery should be installed on rear position (CU B)
That is the board / battery powers the radio board which is awaiting instruction from your infokey at all time.
Jason's battery is well know quality product, and his service is recommended by a lot of members.

sent from my iPhone Tapatalk APP

bud01234 04-06-2014 01:02 PM

(3-yr old I2 with 8k miles)...I did end up getting one of Jason's batteries (MTO) from a local licensed retailer so I didn't have to pay for hazmat shipping. I placed it in the rear position where the bad battery was and left the working older battery in the front position.

After charging both batteries overnight (both green lights flashing), I rode to work - about 4 miles. When I got to work the info key was reporting 1/2 charge (4 bars) left when I expected to only use 2. I recharged while at work, then rode home. When I arrived home it had only used 2 bars.

I recharged (both green lights flashing) and then unplugged since I was going to ride again next day. When I powered up, the info key only read 5 bars charged. I plugged it in again for a couple of minutes and both green lights started flashing. When I powered up, it read 8 bars full charge. Rode to work and only used 2 bars.

I have a new infokey battery. Should I run the batteries all the way down and then charge them full? I seen to remember that could resync the info key. Anyone else have any weird things like this with the infokey after replacing a battery?

airdale 04-06-2014 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bud01234
Should I run the batteries all the way down and then charge them full? I seen to remember that could resync the info key. Anyone else have any weird things like this with the infokey after replacing a battery?

Yes... but be carful you still have that old one...bringing it down could be the death of it...But you need a good idea how much charge you need no matter what.