SegwayChat

SegwayChat (https://forums.segwaychat.org/index.php)
-   Segway General Discussion (https://forums.segwaychat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Segway regulation experience (https://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=34399)

Popkorn 04-24-2016 11:27 AM

Segway regulation experience

My wife and I have taken many Segway tours in cities in the US and Europe and love it. We are interested in owning Segways, but current NY state laws (and county laws) do not permit their use on bicycle or walking paths. They are legal on sidewalks, but our community doesn't have sidewalks!

Does anyone have experience in getting state or local regulations changed to address these issues?

Thanks

SegNerd 04-28-2016 02:32 PM

As far as I can tell, the best/only way around most regulations is to certify the Segway as a disability accommodation. While I would never suggest deliberately misusing this concept, if you have any sort of disability or medical condition with some connection to mobility, frankly you are much more likely to get a Segway approved as an accommodation than to change the laws of New York.

I am certainly not suggesting that anyone "fake" a disability for this purpose, but I'm just saying that a lot of people have a lot of different types of medical conditions, and some people with disabilities may not have thought of this option.

twowheels 05-02-2016 09:08 AM

Just do it anyway. Laws are not always enforced unless your being unreasonable about what your doing.

dale@thecoys.net 05-02-2016 01:10 PM

Note that it is illegal for someone to ask for any details about your disability.

BridgetteB 05-05-2016 03:37 PM

@Dale, I grew up in Lees Summit! Do you ride your segway around that area? Have you even rode Lake jacomo, I always think about bringing my segway when I go visit the fam. Any kool areas I should keep in mind?

dudeman1961 05-05-2016 07:52 PM

NY Segway Use

A call to your local police/state trooper/vehicle registry office will inform you of where and how you may operate (speed limitations?), if you need a helmet, if you need insurance.

Mine, in WA, is my mobility device so I have no sidewalk restrictions, otherwise they are to be in the bike lane of the roadway. I used to live in CA, as my mobility device law classified me as a 'pedestrian'.

If you play the disabled card there are serious federal fines for fraud. Yes, if asked, all you are required to say is 'this is my mobility device' and that is as far as they are to inquire but if you were photographed or on video being all normal you could be prosecuted and you're not going to get a doctor in court saying you are.

Otherwise, ENJOY!!

dale@thecoys.net 05-05-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BridgetteB (Post 239274)
@Dale, I grew up in Lees Summit! Do you ride your segway around that area? Have you even rode Lake jacomo, I always think about bringing my segway when I go visit the fam. Any kool areas I should keep in mind?

Of course I glide - and we have several Segways, so the grandkids do, too.

I've never happened to ride around Lake Jacomo, but Prairie Lee lake is a nice tour. Deer Valley Park is quite nice. And of course, just shopping or going to Andy's Frozen Custard.......:)

dale@thecoys.net 05-05-2016 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeman1961 (Post 239275)
If you play the disabled card there are serious federal fines for fraud. Yes, if asked, all you are required to say is 'this is my mobility device' and that is as far as they are to inquire but if you were photographed or on video being all normal you could be prosecuted and you're not going to get a doctor in court saying you are.

Absolutely true. Of course, "they" would need to have nothing better to do, and have an absolutely firm grasp of what the range of disabilities might be.

IANAL But it's my experience that if someone is acting politely, carefully, and reasonably, the authorities have many more important concerns.

SegNerd 05-09-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dudeman1961 (Post 239275)

Otherwise, ENJOY!!

I did explicitly state that you should not misuse the concept of accommodations, but I don't exactly agree with this. Disabilities can be temporary, intermittent, or hidden. I think it is unlikely that you would get prosecuted based solely on one photograph, especially if you have any medical documentation to support your position.

SegwayDan 05-09-2016 09:04 PM

Move to Florida! We have great state/county/local regulations (almost none)! Great weather for gliding, too, almost all year 'round.