PDA

View Full Version : Broken Handlebar

hsvendsen
05-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Hi:

I'm new to this forum. I own two Segways, one "e" model and one "i" model. The "e" model is on its way back from the factory from the software upgrade. Last week I was riding on uneven pavement on the "i" model and fell, breaking the left handle bar at the directional control turnm buckle. The break is on a black plastic sleeve, and as far as I can determine, there is no way to replace the sleeve short of replacing the whole handle bar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my unit back on the road without breaking the bank. The "Segway Team" is notoriously slow in answering Emails. Thanks in advance.

Hans Svendsen
Kelowna, BC
Canada

Mr_Laurenzano
05-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Its time for a CS (Control shaft) call segway its easier. I killed two and now have two spares. Ride hard and smile.

Segway-
Half the speed of a car,
Twice as Smart.

KSagal
05-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Mr Laurenzano is right on the money. Nothing works and everyone has been there, and most have posted all their failed attempts to fix this weak link.

I am comming to believe that most seggers fall into two catagories. Those that have broken their seg in that particulat spot, and those who lie about it.

Wish I had a trick or knew of one for you. I have had very good luck dealing with LLC directly for service issues, but I do the work myself most of the time...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

Stewbonz
05-22-2005, 10:27 PM
The right grip can be fixed.

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

KSagal
05-22-2005, 11:35 PM
I broke the left grip, and replaced the handlebar.

I would think that because there is no movement, the right grip would have a far wider potential for repairs...

Karl Ian Sagal

Each road you travel should be just a bit better for having had you pass.

austin@SOH
05-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Due to the fact that the left handle bar grip has the directional control in it, it really is not safe to try and repair it. I would suggest contacting your local dealer and purchasing a control shaft kit. The MSRP for the kit is $160.00

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

Florida Ever-Glides
05-23-2005, 12:12 PM
Austin,

How can this kit for $160 fix a break at the left side of the handlebar. It has always cost me over $300. Is there something that I am missing? Thank you...

Tom Jacobson
http://www.floridaever-glides.com

wwhopper
05-23-2005, 12:16 PM
There are two parts being talked about here - one is the control shaft itself (less the handlebar top) and the other is the handlebar - which interestingly enough can be replaced by itself. One of our DCDEG members took out his handle bar early on - and had the local dealer look at it.

The dealer's Service Guy replaced just the top part - the handle bar & grips part. Then for fun the two of them took the old handle bar got out some power tools and epoxy and played with it some, and made it whole again - except for now its useable in the UK - right Hand Drive! (shh - no one is suppose to know about that part)

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
Come out to the Mid-Atlantic Regional SEG America Event - SegwayFest - DC Sept 23-25 in Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

Stan671
05-23-2005, 12:44 PM
If you remove your two handgrips and just order a replacement handlebar without the grips, it will save you money.

Stan Dobrowski

austin@SOH
05-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Tom, Sorry for the confusion... I looked at the wrong price this morning. It would be $380 plus labor for the handlebar replacement.

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

hsvendsen
05-23-2005, 06:52 PM
I'm not sure I'm doing this right - but I'll get the hang of it. Here's the reply I got from Segway:

Dear Hans,

Sorry for the delay in responding to your email.

The control shaft with handlebar will need to be replaced. This does not
come with new hand grips so you will need to use the ones that you have.
The price is $450.00 US funds plus shipping and handling. The part number
is 1783200001 and can be ordered by calling 866-473-4929, option # 2 on the
menu

Is there any cheaper way to do this ? - I expect that this is not the last handlebar I'll break - I'm a daring (stupid) Segway operator..

Hans
quote:
Hi:

I'm new to this forum. I own two Segways, one "e" model and one "i" model. The "e" model is on its way back from the factory from the software upgrade. Last week I was riding on uneven pavement on the "i" model and fell, breaking the left handle bar at the directional control turnm buckle. The break is on a black plastic sleeve, and as far as I can determine, there is no way to replace the sleeve short of replacing the whole handle bar. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get my unit back on the road without breaking the bank. The "Segway Team" is notoriously slow in answering Emails. Thanks in advance.

Hans Svendsen
Kelowna, BC
Canada

Stewbonz
05-24-2005, 09:33 AM
I thought they were offering a kit with just the top section these days?

I bet the handlebar has been the most common item to repair.
They need to redesign the entire handlebar. Get rid of all the electronics, problematic connectors, steering grip, keyport, etc..Maybe even Mr. Blinky.
Get everything sealed in the base somehow..

Didn't Derek design a wireless key with 3 colored buttons?

JEFF JARVIS
http://www.thailandsegwaytours.com/

MagiMike
05-24-2005, 12:05 PM
From time to time, Segway LLC will have refurbished parts available at lower costs. It might be worth it to you to ask about availability now.

Itsi Atkins
05-24-2005, 12:16 PM
I discussed this problem with my metalsmith, he said both grips can be fixed. I have serveral broken handlebars fromt he V1 sale. He would add a female threaded insert in the middle of the handlebar at the point where the black plastic stud broke off. He then will use a long bolt with some filler materials around it to go through the grip and screw into the handlebar.
On the left side it is a little more problematic, in that the steering part fits around the stud. This is going to require a fitted item, but will be accomplished after the wheel extensions are finished.

austin@SOH
05-24-2005, 12:17 PM
Jeff, Segway LLC requires the dealer to be service trained if you want to just order the Handlebar Kit. Otherwise from what I understand you would have to buy the whole control shaft and handlebar assembly.

Austin Colby
Segway of Hagerstown

Itsi Atkins
05-24-2005, 12:21 PM
I am in the process of getting Jimmy (metalsmith) to become a general repair shop. I will be leasing half his space to store my seven Segways. Once we are in business, I think he will be able to repair any mechanical Segway problems other than software of internal base items. Let me know if you have suggestions.