PDA

View Full Version : Disabled Segway Users Unite!

QuadSquad
02-04-2004, 08:44 PM
Last November Leonard Timm and I began having discussions about the need to set up a National Organization for Segway users with disabilities. Leonard is extremely knowledgeable not only about the ADA but also about what it takes to live life to its fullest with a disability.

He and I have decided that the time is right to begin the formation of this group. There will be no membership fees initially, Leonard and I will cover all the initial costs and membership will be open to those with or without disabilities. While you're under no obligation to do so, if you have a disability, we would welcome you sharing with us what that disability is, and even perhaps how you use the Segway HT to help you overcome that disability. We would never single you out individually but it would be beneficial in understanding the represented group.

If you are interested in participating please send me an e-mail.

Already there exists a group of us who became acquainted on segwaychat.com who work together for the protection of the rights of the disabled segway users. Interestingly most of those people are not disabled. Hopefully they will choose to become involved in this organization, and continue the great work that they have already accomplished.

We'll look forward to hearing from you!

BruceWright
02-04-2004, 09:16 PM
Fantastic news. I know this has been in the works for awhile, and I'm proud of all of your efforts.

The Segway has the potential to be life-changing for more people than even the iBot. I've seen it with my own eyes, it changes lives.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

esteban
02-04-2004, 09:39 PM
My son Nick, is 17 years old and has CP. We have an apointment at Segway Headquartes to test a unit (In March) in hopes that it will allow him the ability to glide around his school and community. Having read the posts here and speaking to some owners we feel that the Seg will allow him that freedom. Once we purchase a Seg we'll sign on.
regards
Esteban Ruiz

Nel
02-04-2004, 10:14 PM
Super! Count me in!
Nelda

jrmiller
02-04-2004, 11:05 PM
I think the time is right. Watch out Mous House....... JR

4Seg
02-04-2004, 11:51 PM
quad, you can count on me!

be keen, keep clean, glide green.
Help support FIRST http://www.usfirst.org

Shawnee88
02-05-2004, 03:29 AM
You can count me in as well.

I have MS, but not a "legal" diagnosis of it. To have a "real" MS diagnosis, you have to present with spots on your MRIs and have a few other findings. I lack the spots (as 5% do). I "real" diagnosis would probably qualify me for a wheelchair and the drugs for MS and such.

As it is, though, I have all the symptoms of MS but no name for it. I *know* it's that disease, as does my doctor, but he can't SAY it is.

Complicated. A year ago I was able to hike like 15 miles in an afternoon, I walked all the time, etc. But another attck of MS last New Years took that away. Now I walk with an awful limp and not for very far.

My sister passed away last year, I inherited a small amount of money from her, and bought my Segway (which I otherwise would not have been able to afford).

Now I use it when a lot of walking is involved. In the last couple weeks I have taken it into a museum and to the LA County fairgrounds for a horse show. Both times I was questioned (the fairground told me it was illegal to use it, they were incorrect and I got in) and my little "regulation" handicapped sticker seemed to make a big difference.

Anyway, now I can enjoy places like fairs and museums without getting tired or slowing down the people I am with. I plan to take it on the bike trails along the beaches here, and I take it joy riding on nice days (on which I used to take hikes or walks).

I'm also currently dealing with the human resources department where I work. I have requested that I be allowed to use the Segway on the job. I was initially turned down, but wrote a 3 page letter to HR explaining that, although non-traditional, it was still a "wheelchair" to me, that I was quite adept at maneuvering it, and that it was a free way for them to comply with ADA rules (thought that might shake 'em up), as I have not requested any other provisions. I'm waiting to hear back.. all I know is they are "looking into it".

I *love* the thing. It makes me feel graceful when otherwise I walk with a limp.. looking labored sometimes.

I'm going to post a second time here and include a link for the sticker, as soon as I find it.

Thanks,

Shawnee

Brooster
02-05-2004, 03:45 AM
When I met Jerry (QuadSquad) for the first time at his orientation here in the Chicago area last March, I knew he was someone special. If you've never met him, you're in for a treat ... maybe at the next SegwayFest! Heck of an inspirational guy.

Good job Jerry. Anything I can do to help here, I'm in.

Brooster

Shawnee88
02-05-2004, 03:48 AM
http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/street.safeshopper.com/images/b10dblgv.gif

HANDICAP STICKERS FOR SEGWAY

http://street.safeshopper.com/333/1365.htm?624

For a low price, free shipping and a handful of free American flag decals as well, I bought a 3" x 3" blue "regulation" handicap logo sticker for the Segway.

Makes a big difference it seems,.. when people see it they immediately back off from giving me trouble taking the Segway in to places.

I stuck it right above the word SEGWAY on the front/bottom of the HT. I recommend it highly to the disabled Seggers. It's small enough to be unassuming, but a simple point to it makes people let you in. I just explain that it's my 'wheelchair', non-traditional though it is. I just explain that I feel too young for a traditional sit-down power chair or scooter, don't NEED to sit, and prefer to be eye-level with folks when I am out cruising. Plus the Seqay is a hell of a lot more FUN than a wheelchair!

Works every time, so far. (knock wood)

I paid like $3.50 for the sticker. Cheap enough. High quality vinyl, peel off back. They actually sent 2, even though I ordered one. Mistake or generosity, I don't know.

Segway City
02-05-2004, 09:48 AM
Count us in.

Mrs. City has a heart defect that limits her walking to ~75 feet before she "Smurfs up". Her "invisible" disability makes people silently question whether there's a disability among us. That makes her shrink, as she's very non-confrontational, making her withdraw from the world. The Segway firmly re-establishes her right to that world without the need to get ill to prove she's sick or force her into a pushed wheelchair to comply with "their" view of how she should live. Passive radical activism at its finest!

X-man
02-05-2004, 10:36 AM
Count me in and I'll be mailing you right away. This device has eabled me to do so many things. It's really a blessing. COPD robbed me of my stamina.
I scanned my parking permit and with a little size reduction, transferred same to some bumper sticker blanks I purchased and attached it to the front plate. I may still order some of those decals Shawnee mentions above.

The Lone Glider! :)

Entil-Zha
02-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Hello All -
I have been a lurker for months on SegwayChat and just decided to participate. I have an interest in seeing new legislation that allows for the use of a Segway HT as an assistive mobility device. I have had my HT since last October and have used it to improve my "Quality of Life". In fact, it was Robert (God1138) that gave me my first demo. Thanks Robert! QuadSquad, it is your tenacity that has convinced me to start participating. I have already spoken with Mike Schneider about my experiences with WDW and hope his article will make a difference.

NEVrland
02-05-2004, 12:44 PM
To whom it may concern:
I have recently mad a post that has caused me some concern.

I would like to make it very clear that I do not think it is unsafe for Segway’s to be in the theme parks. It has been brought to my attention that I had posted that it would be unsafe.
For the record I do not.

I would also like to thank my friends that brought this to my attention.

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at

Keith@relaytogo.com

Keith Albrizzi NEVrland, Inc. Relay Transportation 407-566-0911 Segway Service, Sales and Rentals

X-man
02-05-2004, 12:55 PM
Keith,
You sound like janet jackson :) who made a mountain from a molehill
PS I didn't see your other post and didn't see the halftime either.

The Lone Glider! :)

pam
02-05-2004, 04:17 PM
Quadsquad, Although I'm not disabled (at this time - who knows what the future will bring), if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.
Pam

TiVoAussie
02-05-2004, 08:08 PM
I've already emailed Jerry re this, but I'll put my hand up here "for the count"

I'd also like to welcome Shawnee to the group! Hi there from Aus!

Shawnee was the person responsible, months ago, for convincing my wife that the Segway would help her! She wrote the most beautiful letter which helped her make up her mind to give it a try! For that I'll always be in her debt!

Cheers

Ron

There are a little over six thousand Segway owners!
There are a little over six billion people in the world!
I'm one in a million! :)

jrmiller
02-06-2004, 09:22 AM
Shawnne and Entil-Zha ... welcome to our world! As you said, the HT has changed our lives and enriched us and the ones around us that we have so depended upon both emotionally and physically.

Entil-Zha....please contact me reference your contact with Mike Schnieder of AP! Remember ...... SEG-ON SEG-RIGHT JR :>)

trevor
02-06-2004, 04:03 PM
Jerry,
You can count on Emily and I being involved in such an endeavor.

What do you see as the primary goals or objectives for this group?

-trevor

ions82
02-06-2004, 06:27 PM
Can I join even though I don't own a Segway? I am determined to own one. I'd love the see the changes in my life that have been evident in the lives of others.

driley
02-07-2004, 02:14 AM
I replied via email, so this is my public "count me in".

I use my Segway as a mobilty device, for fun and because it is environmentally friendly. In other words, it gets me places that I cannot reach on my own two legs, I take it for joy rides and I commute to work on it instead of using my car. I knew the day I saw it unvieled on TV that it would be life changing for me. Makes me wonder why I waited months to get one. Now that I have one I won't give it up!

Devin

Florida Ever-Glides
02-07-2004, 09:58 AM
After speaking with Leonard Timm yesterday I have a whole new appreciation of the segway as a necessary mobility device for the disabled or elderly. My brother-in-law is a double amputee who could benefit greatly with a Segway.

I would love to contribute time/effort in any way I can to this new organization. Please let me know wht I can do to help.

Tom Jacobson

Novato
02-07-2004, 03:46 PM
Jerry,

Aileen and I are in. If we can do for just one person what your inital demo did for us, it will be truly rewarding. Segway has Changed Aileen's whole outlook and view of what is possible. We would love to share that experience and help secure our right to glide.

Roger

SegwayBill
02-07-2004, 10:25 PM
Count on me!

Bill

QuadSquad
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
I just wanted to give everyone an update. The response of those wanting to join together in this quest has been tremendous. I am attempting to e-mail each of you individually, but if for some reason you don't get an e-mail from me in the next few days please send me a follow-up e-mail to make certain that I haven't let you slip through the cracks. When you do send me an e-mail, would you please include your name, mailing address, and the telephone number. I promise you the list will never be given to anyone, and will be used exclusively for membership activities.

For those of you who I have already been in contact with if you haven't given me this information I would appreciate it if you would forward it to me.

Earlier in this thread Trevor asked what I saw as the primary goals and objectives for this group.

My personal objective, and desire is that while initially our mission will be to assure that the promise of the ADA, & ACAA is applied without prejudice to those with qualified disabilities using a Segway HT as their assistive device, I would like for the organization to be dynamic, and rather than being single issue oriented, our mission statement would be more in line with assuring that people with disabilities (all disabilities) were afforded every advantage and opportunity available with the new technology that's being created every day.

Ultimately, my desire is to see this materialize into a foundation that could help those with disabilities, who do not have the means to afford the new technology, secure funding through grants, no interest or low interest loans, etc. We are currently investigating having the organization designated a 501 C 3 Corp. allowing us tax-deductible charitable contributions.

It does little good to the C5 quadriplegic (or tetraplegic) to sit watching the new iBOT mobility system on television without any hope of having the means to acquire one.

We are going to have some exciting announcements over the next few weeks, so stay tuned to stay involved!

John Rice
02-09-2004, 08:20 PM
Great idea, let me know how I can help
John

John Rice
twicerice@mac.com

terryp
02-09-2004, 09:30 PM
I hadn't noticed this forum before, but now that I have, I'm willing to do whatever I can to help the cause.

Practicing safe Segs in Seattle

4Seg
02-09-2004, 11:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by Novato

Jerry,

Aileen and I are in. If we can do for just one person what your inital demo did for us, it will be truly rewarding. Segway has Changed Aileen's whole outlook and view of what is possible. We would love to share that experience and help secure our right to glide.

Roger

Roger,
Jerry shared the story over the phone with me a couple of days ago. It's a story to be told. I hope to meet you both someday soon.

-mike

Terence
02-10-2004, 01:51 AM
Please include me in. Sounds like a wonderful program.

QuadSquad
02-11-2004, 11:32 AM
<center>Naming Our New Organization.</center>

I am in the process of finishing the mission statement for our new organization. And we are in the process of formalizing it. We would like suggestions from you for a name which would appropriately identify the organization.

Remember, the mission statement will be broader than issues dealing just with the segway HT, it will deal with the access of people with all disabilities, to the promise of a brighter life, created by new technology.

You can post your suggestions here, or you can e-mail them to me

millpond11043
02-11-2004, 11:24 PM
26 years ago I was disconnected from the world by an injury and for the last 10 years because the injury has prevented me from being able to walk for any distance. I did not want to start using a wheelchair because the times I had to use one I really felt like a second class citizen but I am waiting to try a Segway and from what I read on these pages I will not feel isolated any more. Tne one thing that has made this possible is the PC I bought 2 years ago, It brought down the Iron Curtain maybe it will open the eyes of those people that can't see our disabilities realize we have them and deserve something like the Segway to help us reconnect with the human race...

Okeechobee Wind
02-13-2004, 12:09 PM
Count me in.
I have been off line for a few weeks now. WoW, how surprised I am to find out the ball is picking up momentum. This is just wonderful. Jimmy at WDW till March.

poohbear
02-13-2004, 07:38 PM
Here to help!
-poohbear

mmohyde
02-23-2004, 12:12 PM
I'm interested! I have MS and will use my Seggie to do all the little things that are so inprotant in life - walk the dog, run a few errands in the center of town (1.5 miles away). I also will use it for business travel and would really not like the hassles from airlines and others!
Moe

ions82
02-23-2004, 01:38 PM
Does the organization have a name yet? How about A.I.M. (Advancement of Independence and Mobility)

QuadSquad
02-23-2004, 04:19 PM
We do indeed have a name! And a fabulous logo designed by Derek Hugger!

Hopefully, by Friday everyone who has e-mailed me and expressed an interest in joining will receive an e-mail from me notifying them of the name and the web site address for formal registration.

Next week we'll post all the information on segwaychat.com.

Itsi Atkins
02-27-2004, 10:52 AM
thank you for your work and formation of the new organization. New York has used your information to help in providing legislative language which is in keeping with the ADA. Thanks so much and we want to be a part of your group.
itsi

Wallace
03-11-2004, 06:39 PM
A Personal Story of Job Related SEGWAY use by a Parkinson's affected person - Also found on the main FORUM- Charles Montgomery

MOBILITY - PERSONAL STORY As posted on the Segway Chat/Forum October 6, 2003 Special Needs / Mobility / Disabled Use

Charles, A supervisory assistant (Finishing Associates) with 30 years employment in a building products manufacturing facility is responsible for work scheduling for all employees in the manufacturing departments of the plant. The facility, located on ten acres of land has numerous buildings - offices, manufacturing, warehousing and support activities which often require Charles to travel 5-10 miles per day.

Until recently, Charles used a bicycle to locate individual employees to confirm availability of workers for overtime. Due to the nature of worker assignments, those eligible for overtime might be found at any one of several locations throughout the plant and must be "sought out" to confirm availability. He must often seek out 25 or more employees in various areas of the plant in less than an hour so as to confirm the availability of workers to stay over on a shift that day.

Another recurring assignment is to do bi-weekly shop, warehouse and storage inventories of raw materials to be used in manufacturing. Because of the physical layout of the plant, raw materials may be stored in several of many locations, often separated throughout the ten acres. About half of the materials are outside in various locations and the remainder are scattered across various departments and storage buildings over the 10 acres.

Charles had been dealing with the effects of early diagnosed Parkinson's which became increasingly more pronounced affecting balance and mobility. A year ago Charles was no longer able to ride his bicycle due to the combined effects of fatigue and balance. He was prevented from walking or riding his bike the 5-10 miles per day which his job required and an electric cart or other conventional vehicle was too large to negotiate the ramps and aisles in the plant.

To use such a vehicle meant riding part way to the destination, dismounting and walking laboriously and painfully 20-30 yards to an individual and retracing his steps to the vehicle to seek out the next person.

Given the progressive nature of Parkinson's, his choices appeared to be to either be forced into early, (four years before full vesting) disability retirement which would provide him less than half of his annual income. OR to find some form of mobility assistance which would allow him to keep his job.

His research led him to seek a demonstration of the SEGWAY HT, an electrically powered, self balancing mobility assistive device. "I knew from the first time I got on the SEGWAY that this was the answer to my personal problem."

Charles went to his HR manager and proposed that he buy his own Segway, receive the mandatory training from SEGWAY and meet the company requirements for safe operation in the plant. A "risk analysis" was done to consider the safety and potential for accident to the rider/owner; other workers; and the plant property itself.

After careful analysis, Charles equipped his SEGWAY with a battery powered "flashing strobe lights and a loud horn". Charles wears a Hard Hat in the plant and is considered by OSHA to be in the same category as a fork lift.

"The SEGWAY literally saved my job," Charles stated. "I can now do as much or more than I could in years past. I am safer on the SEGWAY than I was on a bicycle. Forklift operators sometime don't see those things. With my flashing strobe lights they know where I am. Because I am 8" above floor level, I can see things in the plant which I could not before - either while walking or on a bicycle."

"The $5300.00 purchase price of the SEGWAY was one of the best decisions I ever made." The willingness and foresight of the plant management to allow the use of this device benefits the company by retaining the knowledge and experience of a 30 year employee who was enabled to continue his employment in a key position.

Wallace L. Johnston, Ed.D.
Business Manager
Texas Tech Engineering Graduate Studies

wallace.johnston@coe.ttu.edu

Thanks Mr. Johnston For talking with me About my job and my Segway. Maybe this will help other people with some other mobilty problems keep there job's and live a more productive life.Like the state of Florida states "The Segway is A PERSONAL MOBILITY ASSISTIVE DEVICE "

Edited by - Montgomery on Oct 06 2003 7:53:48 PM

snakeman3451
03-11-2004, 08:12 PM
Hello all,

I would also like to offer to help any way I can. I am disabled and am learning to use my segway to do things that I have not been able to do for nearly 10 years.

Matthew

mick in fleetwood
03-21-2004, 06:12 PM
hi, we have a 9yr old daughter, Maisie, who has c.p.She has mobility problems, but attends mainstream school as academically she is fine.
We are interested in a segway, but not ever having seen one in the u.k.we wondered whether anyone out there has found this to be useful in a similar circumstance?

mick & sarah

mjm

ions82
03-21-2004, 11:28 PM
If your daughter can stand up, there is a very good chance that the Segway would work well for her. The only other thing she would need to be able to do is use her left hand for the steering control. The smaller "P" would be ideal for her. The Segway feels so natural, that very skill is needed to use it. Here is a link to a place in the UK that sells them. http://www.planetmoto.co.uk/ You may've already found it. Anyway, it's definitely something that is worth looking into. The Segway has made a profound difference in the lives of many disabled people.

esteban
03-22-2004, 09:26 PM
Mick & Sarah
My son (age 17) also has CP. He can stand but has trouble walking. After talking to some seg owners we drove to the factory and tested the
Segway. We purchased the e model last week. Nick took it to school today and was able to get around very well. The seg is an amazing machine. I don't have to tell you how you will feel once you see your daughter flying down the halls of her school on her own.

DGreenberg
03-30-2004, 12:40 PM
My 13 year old daughter is phsically challenged ...however she has limited mobility. She can walk short distances with arm crutches but uses a wheelchair for long distances. We think the Segway would be a great option! We went to our local dealer and to our surprise, she was very comfortable operating the test model. However, she is not able to stand long periods of time and in order to maximize the opportunity with the Segway, she would need some type of "flip down" seat that she could sit on/ lean on while riding long distances....has anyone seen this type of modification? Can you point us in the right direction? We are also looking for a heavy duty kick stand, which she could use to stabilize the unit while she gets on it.

Assuming we can solve these two issues, Melanie could have a whole new world opened to her becuase of the Segway!

Thank you in advance.

Don Greenberg
DGreenberg@Kichler.com

SegwayBill
03-30-2004, 01:20 PM
Don
A seat is not recommended for Segways, 99% of the time it would be great. If there is wheel slip or the something to comprise the balance of the machine you must be able to step off quickly.
Bill

Bill

MagiMike
03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Don,
Check out this thread.
http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6139
And the 12 photo's at http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=4166438&a=30971461&p=65829291&f=0

Mike in Houston TX.
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/23/23_1_45.gif

ulsterseg1
05-27-2004, 04:41 PM
My name is Mike and i have MS.I have been a segway user now for almost 2 years and it is the best thing that has happened to me in years.I now can go with my wife and freinds almost any place they go and be standing up instead of some one haveing to push me around. I do get around with a cane but it is only for short distance.I feel that i get kind of a work out the way it feels when you ski.I take my seg on my boat and even went up the ramps of c330 cargo plane at an air show.you can count me in.Mike ulsterseg1@aol.com

BobS
06-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Dear Jerry,

I have been actively pursuing a Health Care Provider that sells Segways.
This would help reduce my cost when purchasing a Segway for health
reasons. I have Blue Cross insurance. I think any Medical provider in
the US would due but one in OK would help more. I have MS and walking through any
store ends my day in a hurry. I think the idea is a good one.

Bob

Bob

someday
06-16-2005, 03:17 PM
I look forward to watching the progress of this group. I have MS and have ordered an XT. Like other MS unfortunates on this site, I can walk short distances with a cane, but tire quickly. I look forward to getting back on the mountain trails again with my wife. I heartily endorse your efforts.

Someday

poohbear
06-17-2005, 12:36 PM
I would be very interested to see if you can get insurance to pay for it. I thought, since it's not actually an FDA approved medical device, that insurance won't touch it. However, if your doctor is willing to say that you use it for a medical condition, you can claim it as a medical expense on your taxes.

-poohbear
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~khartman/poohseg.gif

clownhead
06-17-2005, 01:26 PM
quote:Originally posted by BobS

Dear Jerry,

I have been actively pursuing a Health Care Provider that sells Segways.
This would help reduce my cost when purchasing a Segway for health
reasons. I have Blue Cross insurance. I think any Medical provider in
the US would due but one in OK would help more. I have MS and walking through any
store ends my day in a hurry. I think the idea is a good one.

Bob

Bob

You should email Jerry, He might answer on the forum.

gkucala
07-22-2005, 03:27 PM
Count me in! greg@kucala.net

My son, now 17, has CP and last year we visited Savannah, GA. After watching him be a real trooper, hoofing it around the city squares, I felt desparate looking for a means for him to get around without the pain and without a wheelchair.

When we returned home, we found a Segway store in Alpharetta, GA -- Electric Avenue. Scott and his staff let Zach, my son, try out an i-series, and he was a natural. He's a kid who's always a hard time with balance; not anymore.

Zach uses it when we shop at stores like WalMart and Lowes, goes on trails with us to see waterfalls, and just this week used it to tour the Tennessee Aquarium in Chattanooga and eat at StickyFingers. I'll simply tell the person at the door that he uses a Segway instead of a wheelchair, and they gave us tips how to get around as if he was in a wheelchair. Sometimes Zach's Segway was drawing more looks than the exhibits!

We are huge advocates for how a HT increases the quality of life. Though the HT can kick-up the speed, so can I, but I don't run down busy sidewalks and Zach doesn't speed down sidewalks. He moves at the exact pace as everyone else and stops as easily as everyone around him.

In short, that's our story. Let us know how we can help.

-=Greg=-

rjmolzhon@bis.midco.net
09-11-2005, 08:48 PM
quote:Originally posted by BruceWright

Fantastic news. I know this has been in the works for awhile, and I'm proud of all of your efforts.

The Segway has the potential to be life-changing for more people than even the iBot. I've seen it with my own eyes, it changes lives.

-Bruce Wright

Segway: Vehicle of Dream

I have M.S. and just tested a 180 local and loved it I would be interested in joining a group of diabled segway users

:-D

poohbear
09-12-2005, 01:45 PM
I have MS too. I have been using a p for nearly 2 years now. It has given me back me life. The great thing about being with a group of segway users is that your disability is not an issue. I attended SegFest in Sacramento this past May and I was just "one of the gang". Group glides are SOOOO fun! :D

If you are looking for additional information about using the segway as an assistive device, though, check out www.draft.cc. DRAFT (Disability Rights Advocates For Technology) has made great progress in getting the segway accepted as an accepted mode of mobility for the disabled.

-poohbear

Albedo039
09-12-2005, 10:41 PM
I am a legally blind (impaired just enough not to drive legally) HT owner, so I am very interested in this forum. I'll check out all the threads and hopefully give back some good feedback.

Albedo039

Lastquest
10-02-2005, 03:33 AM
I am a supporter of the Segway HT for the Handicap. I am handicapped and the Segway is a Gift of God to me.

I will support you Anyway I can,I can even send you a couple of bucks!
Please Ask!

I have been fortunate enough to travel cross country and visit 8 National Parks this summer. Without my HT this would NOT have been possible. I am willing to FIGHT for the Handicap and the Segway.

The State of Massachusetts is Debating a EPAMD Bill and it is very detailed. Email didn't work, so I have started a Snail Mail campagin.
If you could Help, Email me at LastQuest@Comcast.net

Goldstreak
10-05-2005, 02:39 AM
You can most definitely count on me. I have had my HT for over two years. I have COPD but I can go any place you can walk , so far without any limitations!

Never to old for a Happy Childhood

Tarkus
10-05-2005, 09:26 AM
Don't forget to visit http://www.DRAFT.CC
http://www.segwaychat.com/photos/Tarkus/elp1tarkusfava.JPGTarkus-See me in my photo album

jamiebug
11-25-2005, 10:59 PM
Hey-
I have not been able to afford a segway YET~ however I have the terminal lung disease Cystic Fibrosis and am going to try to introduce others and doctors to the idea of Segways to help improve the lives of us patients. I would love to be of help to you guys in any way I can. Thanks. My email is ctymeblackfoot@hotmail.com

byrd
11-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Jamiebug, a question for you: How are you envisioning using the Segway in your everyday life? I haven't heard of anyone with CF using them, and I'm curious and interested!

Gaye
11-30-2005, 03:00 PM
For UK disabled Seggers WILCO (bike and car stuff) sell self adhesive disabled stickers at only £1.99
Be aware that apparently we are not permitted to copy, particularly in colour, your blue vehicle disabled sticker and carry it round with you; stupid I know but apparently it is a breach of copyright (?!) and anyway would be considered as unacceptable behaviour in breach of the disabled certificate guidelines!
Big Brother should get a life AND a Segway!
Gaye
quote:Originally posted by Shawnee88

http://a248.e.akamai.net/f/248/5462/2h/street.safeshopper.com/images/b10dblgv.gif

HANDICAP STICKERS FOR SEGWAY

http://street.safeshopper.com/333/1365.htm?624

For a low price, free shipping and a handful of free American flag decals as well, I bought a 3" x 3" blue "regulation" handicap logo sticker for the Segway.

Makes a big difference it seems,.. when people see it they immediately back off from giving me trouble taking the Segway in to places.

I stuck it right above the word SEGWAY on the front/bottom of the HT. I recommend it highly to the disabled Seggers. It's small enough to be unassuming, but a simple point to it makes people let you in. I just explain that it's my 'wheelchair', non-traditional though it is. I just explain that I feel too young for a traditional sit-down power chair or scooter, don't NEED to sit, and prefer to be eye-level with folks when I am out cruising. Plus the Seqay is a hell of a lot more FUN than a wheelchair!

Works every time, so far. (knock wood)

I paid like $3.50 for the sticker. Cheap enough. High quality vinyl, peel off back. They actually sent 2, even though I ordered one. Mistake or generosity, I don't know.

Segway - LITERALLY revolutionising my life!

Atin
01-28-2006, 03:27 PM
I want to be in on this also..
OK I admit I have had my HT for less than 24 hours, but like I posted in another thread. I have gone the distance to my mailbox probably over a hundred times already on my HT..
Until yesterday I tried to stay as hidden inside the house as much as possiblle. Im 6 foot 6 inches tall and a wheelchair just seemed to demean me. I mean one time in Walmart a person just pushed me out of the way so they could get something from off a shelf. I was an object, not even a person..
I suffer from MS. I had read another post in this thread about another member who doesnt have the brain spots.. I do unfortunatlly. In the last few years I have watched my walking go from a limp to almost non existent..
Yesterday I got to go and cruise through one of our state parks, I would have never done that in a chair and walking, forget it. But there I was, tall, proud and mobile. I felt like I could take on the world..
This March I will for the first time be able to participate with my 501 Star Wars friends by being in the Atlanta St Pats Parade. In the past either I had to not go, or go and ride in a car..
Like I said I only got my HT less than 24 hours ago and I feel like a real person again..
This was a life change for me in such a positive way I want to help anyway I can to help others...

Atin Miller
501st Southern Outpost Star Wars Stormtrooper Legion
http://highlandcitadel.com/501stso/

Nelda
01-29-2006, 02:11 PM
Welcome Atin,
Congrats on your new Segway. Your new found euphoria is a joy to all us oldtimers. You will find it never goes away.
Please join us over at DRAFT also and feel free to post your new discoveries. You will now look for places to go and you will also find you are an ambassador whether you like it or not of the wonderful world of segways.
We know you are sitting there reading this with that silly segway grin we all have.
Nelda

Atin
01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Nelda what is DRAFT???

Thank you for the welcome and yes, I have a HUGE segway grin.. I just go down to the garage to stare at it and make sure it is not a dream every once in awhile..
I dont mind being an ambassador.. I really want to go to the mall, but fear Ill run into the under paid security people wanting me to use a chair instead...

Atin Miller

wwhopper
01-29-2006, 07:43 PM
DRAFT Stands for Disablility Rights Advocates For Technology

http://www.draft.cc/draft3/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

An Amazing Group of Amazing People.

And we will be very proud to have the folks from DRAFT here in DC, in a few weeks training the rehabilitation staff at Walter Reed Army Hospital. And they no doubt will be providing even more vets with Segways in their Segs4Vets Program.

Will W Hopper
DCSEG Member
SEG America
The Premier Gliding Organization!
http://www.SEGAmerica.org
Washington DC - The Most Segway Friendly City in America!

sitseg
01-29-2006, 08:54 PM
Our web site can also be reached at:
http://www.draft.org

Dale
02-01-2006, 10:52 PM
I have been partially disabled since birth and will be 70 this month. As I got older it became more difficult to walk and I was one of the first 250 people to order a Segway and received it in April of 2003.

I have rarely been challenged, and never banned, in any store. I have ridden it in stores in several states and taken it with me on many airline trips. Usually the mention of the Americans with Disabilities Act will stop any protest. The airlines have all allowed me to ride it to the door of the plane and then stored it in the cargo hold and returned it to me at the door. I have had it on Alaskan. Northwest, American and United airlines. They treat it just like an electric wheel chair with a gate check tag. I have not had a problem with the security checks, but I always unfastened the bag and had my wife take it with her in the regular line as a carry on item

My disability allows me to stand without problem, but I have to walk with two canes so the machine has made a significant difference to me.

I use one every day and I have a second one at my house charging incase I'm in danger of running out of battery. Between trips I go by the house and change Segways.

I bought a P model yesterday to carry in the back of a little Chevrolet SSR because the tonneau cover would not close over a regular I model.

My next project is to find an inverter to charge the new scooter while it is in the bed of the truck.

I have had all of the experiences by now including being hit by a stake bed truck in a crosswalk, but I can not imagine going back to the way it was before.

sharonfas
02-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Hi Dale,
I have MS and am very interested in buying a Segway. There just seems to be so many things to figure out. You mentioned taking the segway with you on the plane. Do you put it in a bag or box once you get to the door of the plane? If not, how do you protect it?
Thanks for your help,
Sharon

poohbear
02-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I also have MS and have been using a p for a little over 2 years. I fly Southwest Airlines up and down California quite a bit (also ATA to Maui once a year). I've never had any problems flying with the segway. There was a thread about Segways and Airline travel last year which you might find interesting and helpful

http://www.segwaychat.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11271

-poohbear

Atin
02-03-2006, 02:46 PM
I was wondering if I could take my HT on a trip that I have coming up.
Im flying from Nashville to Oahu and then taking a 11 day cruise through the islands and ending up in Ensanada, Mexico. Then flying home from San Deigo.
Has anyone else used their HT in this way? IE on a cruise etc? I have used my wheelchair, but again in honesty and even more so since I got my HT I hate my wheelchair.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks,

Atin Miller

poohbear
02-03-2006, 03:31 PM
You'll have to call the cruise line. I am taking a 7-day Alaskan cruise in August/September with Holland America and so far their policy is "no segways." However, the girl on the phone told me that they had had quite a few inquiries this past year and they would probably be revisiting that decision later this year. I was advised to call back before my trip and see if they had changed their policy.

-poohbear

culs
02-03-2006, 09:24 PM
Dale,

Thanks for your message. I too have some miles on me and also now on also on my segway, and I have reasons and contentness for using my segway and I am glad you wrote.

I have found that the personal touch does matter, I say to strangers as I glide "this is why I ride a Segway and what it does for me" and I am especially open to fellow disabled folks who see me and wonder, I stop to explain, for sure.

driley
02-04-2006, 02:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by poohbear

You'll have to call the cruise line. I am taking a 7-day Alaskan cruise in August/September with Holland America and so far their policy is "no segways." However, the girl on the phone told me that they had had quite a few inquiries this past year and they would probably be revisiting that decision later this year. I was advised to call back before my trip and see if they had changed their policy.

-poohbear

In 2004 I took my Segway on an Alaskan cruise. It was on Holland America. I checked with the Accessibility office before booking the cruise and was told I could take the Segway.

The conditions of using the seg were the same as if I were using another type of mobility device:
- It had to be stowed in our cabin.
- They could not guarantee it being taken ashore, since tenders could be used in some ports.
- It could not be left in the hallways.
- They had no place to store it, other than our cabin.

Since it had to be kept in the cabin, it had to fit through the narrow cabin door. That meant sliding/dragging my i167 in sideways. As it turns out, the seg stayed in the cabin for the entire cruise. I was able to do without it on-board and it did not make sense to take it for any of the shore excursions, since they all had transportation right off the dock. Had I had time to cruise around any of the port cities, I would have used it for sure.

We spend nearly two weeks in Alaska after the cruise, so being able to take it on-board allowed me to transport it to Alaska, which was a great benefit.

Devin

justME
02-07-2006, 12:08 PM
Please count me in. rsanders11@kc.rr.com Roy Sanders.

I am currently chasing down my neuromuscular diagnosis. At age 16 months I was diagnosed with Charot Marie Tooth disease, akin to muscular dystrophy. After 11 years of orthopedic surgeries I learned to adapt and move on. 15 years ago I was reclassed to Polio by two neurologist who said my EMG looked like old nerve damage. Now I am on my way to see a specialist because I may have both. BUMMER. The execise plan is different for each diagnosis.

My primary doc and I are attempting to get my insurance to pay for the Segway as a mobilitiy devise. If this works I will pass along the news and the language we used to get approved.

I will do what I can to help in this United effort.

Enjoy your days

Roy

Roy

Tarkus
02-07-2006, 11:47 PM
quote:Originally posted by justME

Please count me in. rsanders11@kc.rr.com Roy Sanders.

I am currently chasing down my neuromuscular diagnosis. At age 16 months I was diagnosed with Charot Marie Tooth disease, akin to muscular dystrophy. After 11 years of orthopedic surgeries I learned to adapt and move on. 15 years ago I was reclassed to Polio by two neurologist who said my EMG looked like old nerve damage. Now I am on my way to see a specialist because I may have both. BUMMER. The execise plan is different for each diagnosis.

My primary doc and I are attempting to get my insurance to pay for the Segway as a mobilitiy devise. If this works I will pass along the news and the language we used to get approved.I will do what I can to help in this United effort.

Enjoy your days

Roy

Roy

I wish you all the best and it has been tried to by many to no avail.
come visit www.draft.cc

Good Luck

justME
02-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Count me in too. rsanders11@kc.rr.com

Roy