PDA

View Full Version : CAD file of i2?

quade
06-27-2007, 12:12 PM
Does anybody have or know where I can get a CAD file of an i2?

I have a couple of goals;

1) I have some ideas about after market stuff.
2) I want to import it into a nice rendering program, probably Maya.

Yes, I just dropped Segway Inc. a note, but my guess is they probably aren't going to release a document like that to just a joe schmoe off the street.

dynk
06-27-2007, 02:58 PM
Maybe you can figure out how to attach a lawnmower to the back, or even a roto-tiller........then I could earn some money with mine.

Also, maybe pontoons would be nice, so we could ride right into the river or lake.

safety1st
06-27-2007, 03:15 PM
Does anybody have or know where I can get a CAD file of an i2?

I have a couple of goals;

1) I have some ideas about after market stuff.
2) I want to import it into a nice rendering program, probably Maya.

Yes, I just dropped Segway Inc. a note, but my guess is they probably aren't going to release a document like that to just a joe schmoe off the street.
Segway will not even share that with the dealers, I've asked.

David Ford
D/FW Segway

KSagal
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
Maybe you can figure out how to attach a lawnmower to the back, or even a roto-tiller........then I could earn some money with mine.

Also, maybe pontoons would be nice, so we could ride right into the river or lake.

I have an older style rotary (no engine) mower. I had some pictures of it on the old gallery. I used to tow it to my investment home and do the lawn there with it. I have secured the mower to the front of the seg and used the seg to mow. It works well on the straights, but turns are difficult with a mower in front...

There have been many threads over the years about combining a seg and a boat, and many have speculated on having the seg somhow clamp in and drive the boat. There are several problems with this that have yet to be resolved... Interesting concept, however...

bodyelectric
06-27-2007, 08:26 PM
I built a 3D model of an i180...

I will get around to building an i2 shortly...

cheers

rabbit

jgbackes
06-27-2007, 08:58 PM
Very nice, care to share the source file?

bentbiker
06-27-2007, 10:15 PM

cheers

rabbit
rabbit/bodyelectric,

I would have guessed Paul's request would have had a very low chance of unearthing a CAD file or anyone planning on creating one. Since he found you, and you have done such a beautiful job, I think I'll ask if anybody has large sums of money that they are desperately trying to give away to residents of Lake Forest. Odds can't be much lower.

Was this done strictly with photographs, giving a 3D image without generating a CAD file, or do you have access to a laser scanning device?

bodyelectric
06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
It is built simply from measurements from a real machine, and is reasonably dimensionally accurate - there was no laser scanning etc.

I built this from scratch to have a model to use in promotions - for example, here it is used as a basis for the graphic on our tour flyers.

we have switched to i2 machines now, which is why i need to get onto building an i2 and update our print material.

cheers
rabbit

quade
06-27-2007, 11:24 PM

cheers

rabbit

Ohh! Very nice. I'll take 2 please!

Thanks in advance.

hellphish
06-28-2007, 11:46 AM
If you want I could try modeling the tread on the tires. I've been looking for a good Zbrush project to try! :)

SegwayDude
06-29-2007, 03:35 AM
Folks,

My guess is based on patent laws that any publishing of CAD or SolidWorks drawings would be a clear violation of the law.

Not saying it would be bad to have these drawings available, but I am sure our friends far east would kiss their buttknocks for that stuff.

That being said I am sure some of us put the time in to take their units apart and make some nice explosion DWG out if it to make some cool stuff.

Cheers,

SegwayDude
:D

hellphish
06-29-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm guessing you're wrong. Anyone can make a model of something. Homemade models are not likely to infringe on Segway patents or copyrights.

SEGsby
07-07-2007, 03:06 PM
I'm guessing you're wrong. Anyone can make a model of something. Homemade models are not likely to infringe on Segway patents or copyrights.

That is correct. If you do it for YOURSELF, and do not redistribute the model for money-- you can make a copy of anything.

A great example is the R2D2 I made using AutoCad files for reference. ILM has provided fans details on how to construct one for yourself (outside details). I just used the reference I got from an R2 Builder's Club, for a 3D version used in an animation.

SEGsby

SEGsby
07-07-2007, 03:13 PM
If you want I could try modeling the tread on the tires. I've been looking for a good Zbrush project to try! :)

Not had a lot of time to play with it yet, but I got my ZBrush 3 update. It's awesome. You do 3D professionally?

SEGsby

hellphish
07-07-2007, 03:18 PM
I'm itching to get my hands on ZB3. Not professionally, no. I'm more of a hobbiest. I've done some compositing and stuff like that professionaly, and have sometimes needed to make my own 3d elements, but I am plain awful at box modeling. Zbrush with a tablet is soooo incredible.

KSagal
07-07-2007, 05:04 PM
In October, I saw packages, gifts really, that were handed out to a few people as door prizes and otherwize, at Segwayfest, that came from Segway Inc.

The prizes were very nice, but the point is that the paper that was used to wrap them looked like an old 3d blown apart image of an i-167.

To me it looked like a nice poster. I suspect that some of the old timers here know of the image that I am speaking about.

For lack of a better explanation, I'll say it looked like the blown apart picture that you would see in a parts catalog.

It may be something that can be scanned, if it was released and is in the public domain. I don't know the rules...

joe
07-07-2007, 05:48 PM
I think you're referring to an explosion drawing like this:

It is (was?) available as a very hi-res image on segway.com, actually I printed (exposed) a poster from it. Since it's 2D only and from a certain perspective/angle, it's not very useful for the generation of a 3D file I guess.

If somebody is able to create a 3D CAD file, very likely it'll contain the outer shape of the machine only, not the internals, not all the details, and it'll be only accurate to a certain degree, so I think it should be no problem to publish it.

--
Johannes

KSagal
07-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Yes, that is very similar. That image is clearly the 180, but I believe that the one I am thinking of was a 167, but the style is the same...

SEGsby
07-11-2007, 04:32 AM
There is an i2 version of that exploded-view, which I've looked at closely, and it has smoothing errors in the render from poligonal tessilation. It's easier to see in the White version of the image...

SEGsby

gbrandwood
07-11-2007, 08:59 AM
smoothing errors in the render from poligonal tessilation.You might want to see a doctor about that! :)

SegWayne
07-11-2007, 11:34 AM
There is an i2 version of that exploded-view, which I've looked at closely, and it has smoothing errors in the render from poligonal tessilation. It's easier to see in the White version of the image...

SEGsby

Don't you just hate it when only the White version of the image looks good, damn, that just ruins my week. luckily it's thursday and the week is almost done.

quade
07-11-2007, 11:47 AM
luckily it's thursday and the week is almost done.

I hate to tell ya this . . . but . . . you might wanna check your calendar.

alannewport
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Wow,!!!

Great job Rabbit!

I too want a cad file of an i2 so I can edit it in an industrial type design look. Think an i2 is merged with the "loader" from Aliens and a smattering of military use. A little mean looking, lots of yellow/black caution color, all business.

SEGsby
07-12-2007, 12:59 AM
It's nothing smoothing groups or smoothing angle settings can't fix. Depends on what Render Engine you're using...

SEGsby

You might want to see a doctor about that! :)

KSagal
07-12-2007, 11:28 AM
At Segfest in LA, I got a paper weight.
(I am sure that just made everyone's day!)

The significance, and I am sure that many know where I am going, is that the weight is a clear lexan (I guess) that is laser etched inside with a 3d image of the i2.

I know that what is being discussed here is a 2D image of a 3D plan, but that 3D image of a 3D item seemed to fit the conversation, for me.

Does anyone else here recall the paperweight? If reqested, I will post a photo...

hellphish
07-12-2007, 11:40 AM
I thought what was being discussed here was a file describing a 3d shape. Then somebody posted the exploded diagram.

I do recall that paperweight. They are made using a focusing laser or two laser beams. When focused on the right spot inside the glass/lexan, the material vaporizes and creates a small bubble at that precise location. With enough bubbles, a fairly detailed 3d representation is created.

quade
07-12-2007, 11:55 AM
I thought what was being discussed here was a file describing a 3d shape.

You are correct. Thread drift runs rampant here though. Not that I have anything against that.

joe
07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
I do recall that paperweight. They are made using a focusing laser or two laser beams. When focused on the right spot inside the glass/lexan, the material vaporizes and creates a small bubble at that precise location. With enough bubbles, a fairly detailed 3d representation is created.

Were they made by Inc.? Because one need exactly the 3D file we're discussing here to manufacture these sculptures.

--
Johannes

hellphish
07-13-2007, 11:53 AM
Yes they were made by Segway Inc.

Five-Flags
07-13-2007, 12:02 PM
... it has smoothing errors in the render from poligonal tessilation. SEGsby

I had one of those too, until the wheels fell off...:):):)

KSagal
07-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Yes they were made by Segway Inc.

Are you sure about this? I can imagine that the laser device needed to make this weight must be an expensive piece of equipment. Segway would therefore have this huge expense for a one time give-away. (They actually had them at the Dealer's meeting in July and then again in Segfest in October)

I should rather imagine that they had the commissioned to be done by a third party who makes these things to order. I have seen the technology before in many other situations...

I am looking at mine now. IT is a real nice piece, with great fit and finish, and the detail is spectatular, including the strengthening gussets on the sides of the leansteer frame and the info key on the stalk. I like it, and thank Segway for mine, but suspect it was a job that was commissioned out...

hellphish
07-13-2007, 01:13 PM
I don't know who built them but they were commisioned by segway. Derek provided the company with his model of the i2. My segway was also made by Segway, inc. Do they have the equipment needed to mold tires, or to fabricate computer chips?

SEGsby
07-13-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm sorry, but your response makes no sense.

SEGsby

I had one of those too, until the wheels fell off...:):):)